• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

New Haven Click Spring Question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I just received a set of New Haven Click spring and click replacement parts and have noticed some differences in the replacement parts and the original. I only intended to replace the spring wires as the clicks are tight and the rivets look good. The original clicks look like a fish tale that could be flipped over and used again. The new clicks only have one engaging point. They do look like they would work ok. Now the question is the click spring wires are a bit longer than the original wires. Possibly 1/4" longer. it looks like it will still hold the click in place if I bend it around a bit to loose the extra legnth and the wire will still be inside the diameter of the main wheel. Or should I cut it down and rebend the anchor hook to get it as cloce to the same size of the original wire spring?

Posts: 46 | Location: Van Wert, Ohio in the USA | Registered: January 21, 2006
posted
Bob,click springs are only retention devices.Whatever creative way you decide on will work just fine.Just make sure your new spring lays flat so it won't have a tendency to ride up on top of the click.Also make sure the opposite end is anchored securely so it won't slip out of the hole or whatever retains that end.
Personally speaking,you can make just about any click out of piano wire and a decent set of jewelers' pliers.You can even make the sheet stock type springs like you see on the Hermles.All you need is a template and a Dremel and you're in business.Unless you have a special type click spring I would save my money and try making your own.Believe me it's not rocket science especially if I can do it. Smile
Respectfully,Bob Fullerton

Posts: 181 | Location: New Castle, Delaware U.S.A. | Registered: December 15, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I think Bob has said it pretty well. Its purpose is critical, but rather basic. It just has to work.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002