• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Can clock hands be turned backward? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Okay, I know you will all laugh, but I have always wondered: Is it okay to push clock hands backward to set it? Right now I have a clock that I hope to learn enough to repair some day, that runs down every 18 hours or so. Usually I catch it and wind it up before it stops. Today it stopped before I got to it. Right now it is 6:05, but my little book clock says 7:15. May I push the hands back to 6:05 or do I have to go all around the dial to 6:05? And if it is bad to push the hands backward, why? Thanks, Glenn

"In education the teacher and the student are sometimes indistinguishable."

Posts: 6 | Location: West Seneca, New York USA | Registered: February 03, 2007
posted
Glenn, If the clock is a 'time only'(does not strike or chime) then it is almost always okay to turn the hand back. Many clocks that have a strike or chime feature can also be turned back, but you must be familiar enough with the movement to know it is the type you can do it with. If you are not sure then of course follow the rule "if in doubt, don't do it"!
Mike C.

Posts: 152 | Location: Telford, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 21, 2005
posted
Thanks, Michael. I will remember that "striking or chiming" rule. It can go right along side the "when in doubt" rule which has been a long-time principle of mine. What happens if one does move the hands backward on a striking or chiming clock? Is it slightly damaging in some way with an ultimately destructive cumulative effect? Glenn

"In education the teacher and the student are sometimes indistinguishable."

Posts: 6 | Location: West Seneca, New York USA | Registered: February 03, 2007
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
It depends on the movement. Locking pins, spinning around when the clock is striking or chiming can be jammed or broken by lifting and locking levers being forced while turning the hands backwards. It may just bend some of the lifting and locking wires depending on the type of strike.

If it starts chiming or striking, even on mechanisms designed to be set by turning the hands backwards, you should stop and wait for it to stop before proceeding.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002