• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Clock Mainsprings "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Is there any type of printed matter that gives the correct size of mainsprings for American clock movements.

Posts: 1 | Location: North Carolina in the USA | Registered: April 03, 2008
Honorary Life Member
Internet Consultant
posted
Hi Clifford,

If we are talking about out-of-the barrel mainsprings:
You can invest in books that reveal the original dimensions, or you can take the "close enough" approach. The former doesn't matter if you are buying a modern replacement. You are limited to what is for sale.

You can pretty much bet that an 8 day open mainspring is about 96 inches long. Now you need the width and thickness. (Thickness is also called "strength".) With luck, you have at least a piece of the old spring to measure. Check your catalogs for the closest match.

I was going to go into in-the-barrel springs, but I'll stop instead and ask a question. What sort of movement are we talking about, and what do you know about the old spring? That will help.

Best,
Tom

Posts: 41 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
If you have kept a La Rose catalog,they used to have a spring section listing of what springs went into different clocks. I suspect is was just a ball park in some cases, but it was a start. I don't remember if they had barrel springs listed or not.

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
Honorary Life Member
Internet Consultant
posted
For this and other clock repair questions, I highly recommend this site by John Losch:
Articles on clockmaking and repair.

Best,
Tom

Posts: 41 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002