Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Does anyone repair old electrical clocks? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
I have two old electrical clocks, one is a Seth Thomas cat.# 3671 and the other is an old GE Telechron #7H228.

Both are alarm type clocks and stopped running a few years back and I just don't have the heart to dispose of them even with the urging of my wife.

Anyone have any help for these oldtimers?

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
I do repair electrical clocks, but seems like there would be someone in CA. I live in NY.

The least I would charge is $100. depending if any parts(motor or phenalic gears) are the most usual parts needed and both are very expensive to make(gears)repair(motors)

greg

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of Moses Gingerich
posted
Well, I try not to work on them. I'm just not set up for them at this time. Maybe some time.

Posts: 143 | Location: Waxhaw, North Carolina USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Jerry,

Rather than throw it away, why don’t you have a go yourself nothing to loose if they are destined for the trash, there is a website link below that you can buy battery or even mains powered modules, would be easy to remove the old and pop one of these in.100% guaranteed fix many years of service, they have all kinds even chiming modules that could be fun.

Movements

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Jerry,
I'm not a clock guy, but I agree with Chris. If you call around to some of the clock supply companies, they might have a replacement mov't for you. I just replaced an electric motor, LN7, for a an old electric beer sign clock and light. I was surprised they had it in stock.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
If a guy puts up a topic he at least should monitor it for any comments or advice that he or she may receive....I'm guilty Big Grin as charged....

Thanks, Scott & Chris for your suggestions..I guess I had already arrived at that conclusion, either do the repair myself or convert to battery or something else. I do not intend to dispose of them. I would offer them to anyone here that may want to salvage them for themselvs before I discard them.

Right now my problem is time as it has been for the last few years. I'll work it out though.

I do appreciate your comments.

Hope everyone is having a Super Christmas.

Best to All
Jerry

IHC Life Member
posted
Jerry...I sent you an email when you first posted this topic offering to evaluate your clocks free. I don't specialize in these, but I'm sure I could give you a good idea of what needs to be done. Your only cost would be postage to me and back. You never took me up on my offer, but it still stands.

Roger

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Hello Roger and I'm glad that you used this to reply to me on....My computer crashed recently and I lost all my email info so I couldn't let you know.
I appreciate your offer but as I have stated above, right now I have decided to wait....again.... and decide what I want to do with them.

I did open up the Seth Thomas and found what I think the problem is....a bearing has worn out so I probably will have to make one.

I want to thank Moses & Greg also, I do appreciate your input....

Regards,
Jerry

Honorary Life Member
Internet Consultant
posted
The very best authority that I know of for electrical clocks it Henry Weiland. From battery powered clocks to atomic clocks, Henry is my resource. I don't think that he does repairs, but he has the answers. Here's a veiled email address.

hweiland at wi.rr.com

Good luck!

Best,
Tom

Posts: 41 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Thanks, Tom....I appreciate the info and I will give Henry a tug on email. I will take any advice that he may be willing to part with....

Thanks, again....

Regards,
Jerry

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Jerry, not to disqualify Chris and Scott, but I would never replace with a quartz movement. I turn customers away who what that done. There is hope for your clocks to be repaired...you just have to find the right person. If you don't find someone close to you, and you don't mind the postage back and forth, send them to me and I'll repair them.
Send an e-mail to: glr1109@aol.com and we'll make the arrangements.

greg

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Thanks Greg, I hadn't planned on putting quartz movements into either of the clocks, that just dosen't flip my switch Big Grin if you know what I mean....

Here are a couple of photos of the clocks to let you know what I'm talking about....

Regards,
Jerry

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
one more of the works of the GE

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
I pretty much guessed what you were talking about. If you would like me to repair them...please e-mail me to make futher arrangements at glr1109@aol.com

greg

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Thanks Greg, and maybe I'll take you up on your offer but let's wait awhile....

Regards,
Jerry

IHC Life Member
Picture of Moses Gingerich
posted
Well, just had a customer bring a Seth Thomas in after a lightning strike. I haven't seen this model before but there is a striking side which has (at a cursory glance) a fairly normal strike train. The time train is a motor which I guess is fried. I am going to look for parts but not sure where. Being a Seth Thomas I believe it is worth seeing if we can repair it.
Keeping my fingers croosed.....

Posts: 143 | Location: Waxhaw, North Carolina USA | Registered: March 31, 2005