Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

how do i adjust the speed of the strike "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
I have a Ingraham 30 hour clock that is striking to fast...How do i slow it down ...

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
Samie,you can try kinking the governor or fly in the direction of rotation.That,hopefully will create more air resistance to slow the fly which will in turn slow the speed of the strike.If worse comes to worse you may have to install a larger fly to create more resistance.These are things I have done in the past that have worked for me.I just thought I'd pass them on to you.By the way,where's your Pallet?
Respectfully,Bob Fullerton

Posts: 181 | Location: New Castle, Delaware U.S.A. | Registered: December 15, 2004
posted
Samie, More than likely, the strike side fly is slipping a bit too much on its arbor. It should slip some, but not too much. You can just squeeze the center of the fly (where the arbor passes through) a little to increase the tension. The increased tension will increase the wind resistance which will, in turn, slow down the strike.

Posts: 331 | Location: Camarillo, California USA | Registered: May 03, 2005
posted
Hi Samie,

This is a common problem with thirty hour American movements. You need to replace the strike spring with one that is a weaker strength.
I think that the original springs of the same thickness had less power than modern springs.

Most of these movements I have rebuilt over the past 35 years required weaker spring replacement to function properly.

Posts: 6 | Location: Galion, Ohio in the USA | Registered: April 27, 2005
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Thanks Bob ,Dave and Doug..i will try some of the things and see if i can slow it down..It,s so fast now you can barley count the strikes..

I did notice that the Governor was loose on the arbor..
could more weight be put on the governor or would that work..

i had to replace the spring on the time side of the movement..if i replace the spring on the strike should i get one that is the same width and lenght but not as thick..

Robert i took the pendlum rod and verge etc. off .The last time i worked on this i broke the suspenson spring(greenhorn mistake) SmileIf it,s off i won,t break another spring Big Grin

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
If the governor/fly is too loose on its arbor, adding weight to it isn't really going to help because its still going to slip at the same rate. What slows the train is the wind resistance created by the fly, which is why you need the right amount of tension between the fly and the arbor. You'll be surprised how effective the governor is a slowing the strike train when it is properly adjusted. (Last year I bought an Ansonia Sonia #1. It was in beautiful condition -- the only thing wrong with it was that the chimes played about 3x too slow. When I opened it up, I found that someone had soldered the fly to the arbor. Once I cleaned out all the solder and put the right amount of tension on it, it played perfectly.) Of course, Doug's advice needs to be considered in here, as well. If a previous repairer had put the wrong spring in, then the fly may not be able to slow the train down even if it is properly adjusted.

Posts: 331 | Location: Camarillo, California USA | Registered: May 03, 2005
posted
I know we're not voting on this but SAMIE, I'm with the DOUG on this'n. Especially by the way you describe the speed - waaaay too fast. Bliv yer gonna need another spring. "Yes" I would believe a thinner one also but certainly ready to demur to the ekspurtz. I'm not one. But yeah. Think ya need a weaker spring too. Waita minnit! Is that second wheel, timeside bushing as bad as it appears?

Howard S. McElroy

Posts: 8 | Location: Mesquite, Texas USA | Registered: October 04, 2005