Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Weight Ratchet Loose-Help Needed To Fix "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Mark Nathanson
posted
I have an old weight driven clock. The time side ratchet to hold weights when winding somehow came loose. Comparing to strike side looks like metal spring came loose. I am attaching a pic that should be self explanatory. Comparing to strike side looks like the metal spring like coil should be between ratchet and the back plate. Is there a way to get in between without having to take apart? I am somewhat novice to this. Advice/help appreciated, thanks.

Posts: 206 | Location: Northern New York USA | Registered: January 06, 2006
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
It looks as though ths spring has come out of position. It should be resting in a slight groove on the top of the click, or ratchet. It is not uncommon to find it this way. Usually just moving the spring back into position is sufficient, providing there is no damage to the click itself.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002