Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Proto type watch cabinet "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Larry Buchan's acquition of that nice old watch cabinet gave me the idea of building one on a smaller frame.
This is my attempt, made from some left over butternut and plywood.
It holds 35 p/w's or accessories
What do you think?
to big?
To small?
Any ideas?

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted

Picture of James H. Miller
posted
looks great to me.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Beautiful workmanship Ed, my appreciation goes out to people like you who can turn pieces of leftover lumber into something truly unique and worthwhile.

Wink

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
James, Lindell, thanks.
I plan on building another out of a more fitting wood, maybe cherry or red oak.
I have 3 changes I plan on making to the next one.
I am looking for some ideas,recommendations, changes.

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Ed,

Very nice work!

Debbie

Smile

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Hi Ed,
Nice job on the cabinet. On the next one, you might try and put a fancy top piece on it, and maybe a lock on the door.
Brian C.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Nice cabinet. One other idea might be a drawer under the cabinet to hold chains, keys etc.

Tom

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Brian, it does have a lock on it. But that is one of the things I would replace, I didn't like the set up for the lock.
I had thought about some eye candy but this one was built as a reference (plain jane.)

Tom, a draw within the case would be a good idea.

What about the size, to big, to small?

IHC Member
posted
Ed-I love playing with wood myself,and I'm pretty good at copying anything I can get a good look at.

My problem seems to be yours;I lack a good enough imagination to build something I'm satified with from scratch-I always want to improve it later. I see something better...and wish I'd done it that way.

Here's what I do now-search the internet for pic's of what you're looking for and get all the ideas you like-put them together and create your masterpiece.
When yer done please post it so I can copy it,OK? Thanks-!

Marty

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I went through the same quandry. Lacking major woodworking training, I drew up a 32" High x 20" wide cabinet with a 6" deep display section and a 14" deep glass enclosed sloping storage space above a pull out drawer and shelf (for putting stuff while fiddling if I hung it on a wall).

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The cabinetmaker who did our Kitchen and Bathrooms made it. I think I could actually produce these for sale if there was enough interest. The green felt lining is used pool table felt that a local recovering guy gives me for free. Used P/T felt is nice because with a little vacuuming, it is very low lint level.

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
David,
Very nice cabinet and with lots of room.
It looks like you need another, maybe a floor model with more drawers.
I had thought about a felt backing in green, red or blue, but went with the black paint job on my first try.

IHC Member
posted
Dave,
That sloping drawer is something I'd never have the imagination to think up, and those two little sliding drawers under it really make it something a guy can use-it looks good and it's practical.

The window glass on the bottom is a nice touch,too...You say you lack training? I think it's harder to draw up the plans for something like this than actually building it.

Very nice...If I get that many pockets,I'll copy it and post a pic'!!

Marty