Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham's Riverside Grade "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
There is one Waltham grade that was produced in more sizes and models than any other -- the Riverside. I tally the following 25 models:
18-size model 1892*
16-size models 1872*, 1888**, 1899** and 1908*
14-size models 1874**, 1884**, 1895* and 1897*
Colonial Series*
Colonial models 14A* and 10-A*
Colonial B*
12-size model of 1894 (3/4-plate** and semi-bridge*)
6/8-size models 1873* and 1890
1-size*
0-size models 1891*, 1900* and 1907
3/0*
6/0 models of 1898* and 1912*
10-ligne*
7-1/4 ligne rectangular*

Also, within each size/model category are usually several varieties (various finishes, setting, jeweling and htg/OF configurations). The top Riverside, of course, is the "Riverside Maximus" and a crowning piece to any Riverside collection. In light of the range and quality of the movements, the Riverside can be considered Waltham's standard bearer. The variety, as well as affordability, makes the Riverside grade very well-suited for the focus of a marvelous collection.

Here are the largest and the smallest. I invite others to post pictures of their Riverside movements.
[I will add an * to each model above as pictures get posted]

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Here is another, even smaller, that I missed in the list above (now added). It is a 21-jewel 7-1/4 ligne rectangular wristwatch movement. If you think of any other missing models, let me know and I will add them.

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Here is an ad from 1897

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Here is a National Geographic ad from 1912. This ad (and many others) refers to their free Riverside booklet. I have never been able to find one of these booklets and would love to purchase a photocopy, if anyone has one.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Here is my only Riverside...

Tom

posted
Tom, I love to seeing your Riverside.
Smile

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Here is an '88 model Riverside...

posted
Hi Tom, I have a model 88 tu-tone like yours. My SN is very close to yours--SN 9,173,413.

Tom

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Here is an earlier 16-size Riverside - an 1872 model in gilt. These were also made with nickel plates.

posted
The only Riverside model in my collection. Housed in a 14K hunter case.

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Phil - if you are only going to have one, that is a good one to have. My best estimate is that there were 2300 hunting movements and 1900 open-face.
Tom - thanks for posting the picture of your two-tone. Those are really nice and almost always distinguished by the hand carving around the balance jewel.

posted
If no one minds repeats, here are a pair I let go of in the IHC "For Sale" forum last year ...

An open-face Non-Magnetic marked 88 model and a hunting case 92 model (with somewhat different winding wheels than those above).

Fred

posted
Tom S i see your Riverside now.All examples here are very nice and the pictures are great.I don,t have on e in my collection, but i hope to one day.
Thanks to all for sharing.

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
Jerry,

Here's an excerpt from a trade book dated 1896:

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
posted
And Price list:

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
posted
And the rest of the price list:

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Working our way up from the smallest, the next one on the list is the 6/0 or Jewel Series movement. Here are an 1898-model hunting movement (on the left, from a cushion wristwatch)and a 1912-model open-face movement (on the right, from an Opera Watch).

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Next in line is the 0-size. I am afraid the only examples I have are the Riverside Maximus -- here are the 1891 model (on the left) and the 1900 model on the right.

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Here is a photo of a standard Riverside-grade 1900 model (snagged from eBay). One interesting thing about this one is that it is from a listed run of 1500 Riverside Maximus (17-19j). Obviously the 17j part of the run (perhaps most of them) is Riverside and this could considerably reduce the reported production for the Riverside Maximus.

Does anyone else have any of these smaller Riversides to show?

I skipped over the 3/0 (as I don't have one). Next on the schedule is the 1-size. I have a rather dull-looking example (that I won't post unless no one else shows one). So, start looking for your Riverside-grade ladies watches (up to 8-size) and wristwatches and post your examples.

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Here is the 1-size. My example has a very plain frosted finish, but some had much nicer damasceening. If you have a nice example, please post.

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I guess no one gets too excited about those smaller Riversides, so I'll go back to the 16-size. This is an early 1899 model with only 17 jewels. The earlier ones have a more ornate damasceening pattern, and this also has the gold star-wheel regulator typical of the '99 model Riverside. As with many Riversides it has a gold center wheel, gold jewel settings, gold timing screws and a steel escape wheel.

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
... and here is the 1908 model with the Ohlson's regulator and 19 jewels. Note that both have the chain pattern on the winding wheels, typical of this grade. The damasceening, however, is a simpler broad circular pattern. The lever-set open-face Riversides were railroad grade.