Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Steam Clock "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
When my wife and I were in Vancouver we came across this steam powered street clock.

It is the world's first steam powered clock and was designed and built by Raymond L. Saunders (see second picture). It was unveiled and dedicated on September 24, 1977.

The clock weighs two tons and is supplied by an underground steam system. It plays the Westminster Chimes each quarter hour.

Ray Saunders has a clock shop just around the corner from the clock. He is (or was at the time) an NAWCC member. He is a great guy. We had quite a good long chat about the steam, and other clocks.

We were there 10 years ago, so if someone has an update I would like to hear the latest.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
To those whom I met at the North Coast Regional, the decade span between this picture and the person they met will be obvious.

The gentleman leaning on the counter is Raymond Saunders. The others are my wife Laura and I.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I had a chance to visit this clock in the summer of 2002. It was a joy to watch.

posted
Tom, You haven't aged a bit.

Tom

Picture of Mike Dalke
posted
I was in Vancouver and went to see this clock in December, 2003. It is still perking away, and still "chimes" out the Westminster Chimes every quarter hour. It is indeed a very interesting clock. I tried to get some pictures of the works. However, it was getting dark and those pictures didn't turn out well.

Mike

Vancouver Gastown Steam Clock

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Mike,
Thanks for the picture. I have some good close-up photos of the clock, but can't locate them. It really is quite a fascinating timepiece.

When we talked with the gentleman that made it, he said he had a request from the Japanese to make one for a large building being built in Japan. I don't know if that ever was completed or not.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.