• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Marine Chronometer "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
My latest buy in "box clocks'. This dates from the 1880s and I would call it a generic chronometer from the 2nd half of the 19th century.

Cogdon_1.jpg

posted
Movement!

Cogdon_2.jpg

posted
Box.

Cogdon_Box.jpg

posted
Jerry,
very nice indeed. I'm impressed Big Grin

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Jerry that is one nice Chronometer..very nice Smile

Picture of Matthew E. Sutton
posted
Jerry,

Your chronometer is fantastic!! Thanks for sharing the pictures. It looks like it was expertly refurbished to original condition, is this true? It is one nice piece as it would have graced the Captains cabin on a transocean voyage. Bravo!

posted
Matthew: When I received the chronometer, it was running, but filthy. One of our chapter 52 members took it to pieces for cleaning and the necessary oiling. That was the extent of the work done. Aside fron the dirt, the parts were in beautiful condition, and showed no signs of damage or misuse. All of the numbers on the parts matched. Jonathon Betts, curator of horology at the Greenwich Observatory dates the chronometer to the 1860s.