Internet Horology Club 185
Columbus Jackson Park

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5656047761/m/8771015132

February 05, 2007, 20:16
Peter S. Balkan
Columbus Jackson Park
One wonderful thing about travelling long distances to a regional watch-show is the element of surprise. Walking into a huge room, filled with watches... you just don't know what you might find!

Before the GLAR (Pasadena) Regional, I hoped to find a nice open-face, 24J, 18sz Bunn Special. I didn't see any open-face models that I wanted to own but DID find a very nice 24J, BS in a Hunter case (much rarer).

But the best surprise was something that I never expected. I found this Columbus, double-signed, 18sz., Jackson Park model in a hunter-movement. Shugart does not list the Jackson-Park model in anything but open-face yet... here it is! And, unless all the models had this dial, it looks like a variant dial as well (with log roman-numerals).

The watch, as you can see, is very pretty. The dial does have some light HL's that will probably soak-out to near invisible. The case looks nearly new and is very heavy and fancy (albeit... a re-case). It has the feel and heft of solid gold but it also has J.Boss markings (Boss didn't make anything but gold-filled). The movement is in very good shape and ought to clean-up a bit better when it is cleaned and re-inletted.

The unwritten "rule" of watch-shows is that if someone puts a watch down, without indicating that he wants to buy it or wants it "held".... that watch is fair-game. I was standing at a dealer, when someone asked to see this one (a second time). He said, he'd think about it and walked away. I told the dealer that I'd take it and the dealer set it aside. No way! I told him, that I'd pay for it RIGHT NOW and if/when the guy came back, to simply say it was gone (and don't point to me)! Like I said...."rules of engagement! Roll Eyes

Before servicing watches, I take just 3 "down and dirty" photos. I'll try to remember to re-post better photos when this beauty is cleaned and "presentable." Smile

February 05, 2007, 20:17
Peter S. Balkan
This case is as heavy and massive as it looks. Buttery gold feel, as well. By the markings, I'd say 25 yr.

February 05, 2007, 20:17
Peter S. Balkan
Marked movement, in fine shape.

February 05, 2007, 21:49
Tony Dukes
Peter,
What a beauty. Wish it were mine.
Tony