Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
E. Howard Experimental Series, Major Find. "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 665
posted
The N. N.marking is very interesting.

My guess is that it identifies a combination of size and model. I don't think the identification of size by letter came into being until after the introduction of what is often known as Series III. When a new model of the same size was mooted it had to be distinguished in some way - hence the N.N. marking.

Just a suggestion.

John Scott

E. Howard Expert
Picture of Dr. Clint Geller
posted
Mr. Scott,

The first Howard watches to have the size engraved on their plates were the K Size movements at S#'s 3,001 to 3,095, which predate S# 3,208. These are marked simply "K," not "K.K." And as I pointed out in a previous post on this thread, Howard did not name his different models, either externally in advertising, or internally in his own records. More specifically, his advertisements referred to whatever N Size watch model that was in production at the time of the advertisement as his "Model N." That is, the size was the "model name." Thus, there is neither a precedent nor a reason, on this basis, for the second "N." We must look elsewhere for its explanation.

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Thanks Frank,

It truly was a pleasure to work on such a watch once in a lifetime opportunity. The watch was seized solid with age and storage, and hence remained is such perfect condition other than a few stains old oil, dirt etc.
I keep checking it when I can to see that is still as beautiful as when I cleaned it so far it is. Once it becomes a worry to own will have to consider selling it on.

E. Howard Expert
posted
I think Chris Abell has earned the thanks of the entire horological community, not merely my own, for publishing these outstanding images of this important new Howard discovery. I know quite a few "gatekeepers" who in Chris' place, would have secreted the watch away, showing it only within a very small circle of privileged individuals, or would have passed it along to such a person without ever sharing its information with the broader community. Conversely, by doing what he has done, Chris has enriched everyone, not only the fortunate few who might some day come to own this great watch.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

I endorse every word of my friend Clint Geller's post, far too much is hidden away.

Chris Abell, we salute you!

Wink

posted
I agree, and kudos to you Chris for sharing. One aspect, or ingredient, that shouldn't be overlooked(not in this chapter anyway), is the contribution that computers and the internet have provided us as a vehicle for sharing in these discoveries. No points off Chris' generosity but, it sure would have been harder to share this find 20 years ago. Well alright!
-Cort

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Well said, Cort. 20 years ago this would have been only a whispered rumor in the association, a story told by small groups standing around local chapter meetings, and nothing more.

WELL done, Chris!! Smile

Regards! Mark

posted
alright chris, i will trade you every watch in collection for it .

regards , pete

posted
Hey Chris,
What have you found out? What do you need to find out? Here to help.
-Cort
<(';')>

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Cort,

I recently obtained a early Adolph Lange circa 1869 21J 1A, I was surprised to see a hanging banking pin arrangement as in the Howard 1862, when did Lange first introduce this and what is the first recorded Howard to carry this?

E. Howard Expert
posted
Hi folks. This information is in my book. The earliest Howard movement of whichh I know that is equipped with a single banking pin escapement is S# 2,943, a Model 1858 Type E divided plate movement (also called "Series II") probably finished in late 1861. The last example in my records is S# 7,465, a 3/4 plate Model 1862.

posted
Monthly update? Smile
This the the best watch I've seen in years. I don't wish to appear"needy" but updates on the research would be welcome.

I think Reed was too involved during this period to not have left his fingerprints on this watch. Any thoughts on his involvement?
-Cort

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
That watch is unbelieveable!

One of the cleanest examples I have ever seen.

I think the N.N. letters are the initials of the person that assembled the watch.

If this watch is an experiment, then wouldn't the company want to know who put the watch together, if later, they had questions about it's configuration, and about a million other questions that could pop up after the watch was maybe shelved for a while? maybe the one in charge of this particular watch?

Not knowing for sure, could cause a problem.

Just my thoughts.

Sheila

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

The amazing "E. Howard Experimental Series, Major Find" story we have been featuring here since January is now in print. Thanks to Internet Horology Chapter 185 Members Clint Geller and Chris Abell the whole story is featured on the cover of the August 2007 NAWCC Bulletin and in a wonderful, fully illustrated four page article. Many of the images in this topic and more are included in their fine article.

Thanks a million guys, you did a great job and Chris your pictures are spectacular!

NAWCC Bulletin Article is featured on the cover...

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
MAN, I hope my copy is in the mailbox today!! Eek

Regards! Mark

posted
Gawd! Probably 10 days to go 'til I get to read this. Can't wait Smile
!
-Cort

posted
the pictures are great , the read is pretty much what we have already discussed here ....

IHC Member 638
posted
An absolutely fabulous timepiece with great documentation.

Congratulations to Chris Abell and Dr Geller for all your time and effort in sharing this historic information and pictures.

Has any further information been discovered about Hobart Williams?? A minute point but one that would add to it's history.

Mike

E. Howard Expert
posted
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, everyone. I wish to point out that the article is also available on-line, at www.pockethorology.org . In fact the on-line article incorporates a number of corrections and small improvements that accidentally were mislaid by the BULLETIN staff.

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Chris, slow down, that Macunian devil is going ta' low down and mamba wit'cha and the watch Benny Hill, is going git ya' fer sure! It'll feel just like your sliding down the jakes!
Just check it in under your desk and I'' check it next time I visit (maybe soon).

Sheila