Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

That's TWO! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...well I just had to show off my 1st Illinois 'Santa Fe'(12S)...fresh off the bench and running strong...hope to add the 16S and 0S to the collection as well...

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...and the 'innerds'....

Jim
IHC#234

posted
Jim,
That's one great looking watch and some very nice pictures!! Cool

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Very nice Jim!! Smile

Tom

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Very nice, sharp condition. The dial is especially nice -- more often than not these dials have cracks or chips.

Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Jim,
Very nice watch and great pictures! Thanks for sharing!! Smile

Stephanie O'Neil

posted
Nice Jim, those 12 sz , 21 jewel Illinois sure are nice aren,t they.Who is the maker of the case?

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
....thanks all!...happy to say Kevin that I believe the case is original to the 'piece as well... Cool

Jim
IHC#234

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Jim,
That is a great watch good job.

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

posted
Nice case Jim, i am not sure but how often are these watches found with original movement in the original cases?
I am drooling over your watch Jim.
Thanks for sharing.

Picture of Jim McKinney
posted
Cool Now, That's One -- really sweet RR PW !!! Cool

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Jim McK. -- don't forget, this little beauty is 12-size and would never have been accepted as a railroad watch. I suspect these were intended to appeal to the railroad man as an off-duty dress watch.

Picture of Jim McKinney
posted
Eek Ooops !! Thanks, Jerry . . . I totally overlooked / missed the 12sz reference in Kevin's post.

I was just reacting to to the photos with the Adjusted, 21j & the Illinois / Santa Fe Special signatures . . . I did question, however, that fancy case for a working man's watch.

I wonder if any of the other makers offered a "Sunday go-to-meeting" dress-up watch for the Railroader - or - is this an unique approach to marketing ??? Just makes the watch that much more interesting, huh ?

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Jim,
For just one example, Ball marketed a 12 size 19 jewel dress movement made by Illinois. For a railroader to have that, along with the 16 size Illinois ORRS movement, would make quite the pair. Big Grin Big Grin

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Picture of Jim McKinney
posted
Wink Yes, indeed, Ed - true enough, quite the pair.

Is anyone else aware of any such other similar pairings ?

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Jim,
How about a pair of triplets? Both the Elgin B. W. Raymond and the Illinois A. Lincoln were made in 12, 16 and 18 size versions!
Since you are fond of Walthams, there is also the Riverside Maximus in both 12 and 16 sizes. Big Grin

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Picture of Jim McKinney
posted
Eek Wow !! - Thanks, Ed . . . certainly food for thought ... hhhmmmm ... Roll Eyes ... interesting !! Matching sets in different sizes of the same grade - perhaps a new direction in collecting for me to consider - I already have an 845 & 645 to start. Anyone else out there doing this ?? Pairs - trips - does it go any farther down the line ?? Smile

Timely regards,

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
HOW MANY OF THE 16 SIZE SANTA FE,S HAD THIS CASE...iT IS A MARKED SANTA FE CASE..

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Samie,

The one you're showing and the one in the ad are the only two I've seen. It would be interesting to determine if others are floating around.

Lindell

Wink

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...well 16 months later, I've acquired the 2nd Santa Fe a 16S Special here pictured...apart from a faintly hairlined face which profited from a Polident 'soak' and a not-so-original case for which I decided to sub an Illinois glass-back display, it turned out ok in my opinion...

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...felt somewhat favoured by the horological gods when I found and won this "Illnios" (that's how it was spelled on Ebay; a fact which no doubt diverted a lot of 'other' attention from the listing) the same night that I was the 'bridesmaid' at Lindell's Santa Fe auction...and it's a tu-tone too! Smile...now to find the elusive 0 size to complete the triple play!!! Cool