Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Battery Operated Cuckoo Clocks "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
This is a 1970s era battery rewind cuckoo clock with a seperate music box (pull string activated).

Andy.

Battery rewind cuckoo movement

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Front view of same battery rewind clock.

Front view of battery rewind clock.

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
This is one made in the 1980s. It has a 30 hour chain wind movement and standard cuckoo. It has the addition of a battery operated singing bird which is actuated by a special cam and switch added to the movement. These are pictures I pulled off another site, but I do own the clocks that are pictured front and back, but not the one showing just the movement which is in a larger hunter case. I will try to post a better close up of the movements when I get my 35mm film developed, sorry, no digital camera.

Andy Confused

Battery singing bird movement

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Another clock (not mine) with the same type movement.

Hunter case battery singing bird

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Front view of my battery operated singing bird clock.

Front view of my battery operated singing bird clock.

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Here is a battery operated cuckoo clock from Japan.

Andy

Movement

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Front of "Kiddy" brand clock.

"Kiddy" front view

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Very interesting Andy. When did they start making them with the battery add on. It is interesting that in the later one, the battery bird is activated with the time, whereas in the earlier version it is activated when someone pulled the string. Is that correct?
Thanks for the pictures.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Tom,

The first one in the pictures uses the electric motor to wind the springs for both the time and cuckoo. Besides that, it is a standard cuckoo clock. The seperate pull string music box is in the bottom of the case, and it turns the water wheel.

The second one is basically a standard one day weight driven cuckoo clock. It has the addition of a battery operated singing bird behind the second door which is activated on the hour.

I haven't figured out exactly what the motor does on the one from Japan yet, too many projects, and I just got it.

The two Regula clocks from Germany were made in the 1970s and 1980s, but I don't know about the Japan one. Probably about the same time. I don't think they made these electric-mechanical clocks very long. New battery operated cuckoo clocks have quartz movements in them, recorded cuckoo sound, and a lot of plastic.

Andy.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Thanks Andy, I've kind of ingored these figuring if you've seen one you've seen them all. I knew of the fancy very early ones, but the battery combo models slipped right by me. I've got a dozen boxes of cuckoo cases, movements, parts and pieces. They have been sitting in my basement for about 15 years now. Supposedly a retirement project to salvage and restore as much as possible. I'll have to start digging through them.

When you get the mystery solved on the third clock let us know what you find.
Thanks!

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Close-up picture of the battery operated singing bird device on the second clock above.

Andy.

Battery singing bird mechanism on Cuckoo clock

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
This is an early (1960s) battery operated clock movement, the whole clock sold by General Electric. It is made of some kind of foam. It is time only. It is marked Deutsche Uhr.

Andy

So many clocks, so little time.

G E Deutsche Uhr