WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

HAMILTON & TIMEX - ELECTRIC COMPETITORS FROM THE 60's "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
As we all know, HAMILTON were the first company to market a true electric watch in 1957. By the early to middle 60's some others were joining in. Among those companies with electric watch offerings was TIMEX.

NOTE:- I used to work for Timex in Dundee Scotland in the 60's at the time when these great electric watches were being made. They used high quality West German & French made movements which were pretty expensive to manufacture. This type of back set electric movement was beginning to be replaced by a cost reduced and cheaper one around 1968. Big Grin

Shown below is a couple of magnificent, fully operational examples from both companies:- A SOLID 14K Hamilton "Polaris II" and an EXTREMELY RARE SOLID 14K TIMEX Electric known as the "Dorado".

Enjoy Smile

Figure I

posted
Figure II

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

posted
Figure III

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

posted
Figure IV

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

posted
Figure V

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

posted
Figure VI

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Very nice watches Dave. Pics are really good too! Thanks for sharing! We'll look forward to seeing more, more, more!!! Smile Smile

Stephanie O'Neil

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Dave,

Outstanding examples and unique pieces of horological history.

I'm with Stephanie, don't stop now!

Lindell

Wink

posted
Here is a pic of my Benrus Electronic Technipower. Acquired it last year in an antique store for $1. Put a battery in it and it took right off. It really eats up batteries. If left on it will use up a battery in about 4-5 months.