Tools
Reply to Post

16 size Elgin BW Raymond motor barrel grade 540 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted

posted

posted

posted
Hi Phil,

Great watch, great photos. Can't help admiring your photographic skills.

posted
Glyn,

Thanks for your kind words.

I have great fun taking and sharing these pictures.

I owe a lot of credit for my photographic techniques to Larry S. and many others at IHC 185. Smile

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...I don't know...there's a little glare on the first one... Big Grin

Jim
IHC#234

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
nice watch Phil great pictures..I have one just like this same dial ,case,hands and movement that my late uncle gave me it was the one he used on the railroad ,,,also the same year production as yours with a 39990885 serial #

posted
I have a BWR, grade 571 which has the exact dial, hands and case. Mine is c 1952. That would suggest that Elgin used this combination for a long time.

Tom

posted
Here is my 16 size BW Raymond grade 571. Notice all of the similarities.

BWR 571

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
The Elgin cases used for the Grades 540 and 571 are close, but not exactly the same. The Grade 571 cases all have a small cut out section on the back side of the case center, to allow clearance for the micrometer adjusting screw. The screw on all Grade 571's has the screw head on the outside edge of the movement. The Grade 540 (and all of the earlier Elgins that used a screw type regulator as well) have the micrometer screw head on the opposide side of the balance cock, towards the center of the movement; thus they did not require the cutout on the case rim to allow adjustment of the regulator.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement