• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

MULTI COLORED 6S ELGIN "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
This watch is one of my wife's "dress up watches" which she wears on a silver chain. Wink I'm certain after you've looked at the exquisite details you'll see why she likes it so much. It's a wonderful example from the late 19th. century. Razz We bought the watch in England about twenty years ago. The movement which runs like a top is a 6s, 15J Elgin with a mint condition fancy dial. The magnificent multi colored, COIN based case with applied gold was made by C.W.C.Co. I'm not quite sure what the gold central section of the watch is made of since I've never had it tested.

Does anyone has any thoughts on how the case & movement may have got matched up together since they come from different companies?? Confused They certainly appear to be an orginal fit.

ENJOY!!!!

Figure I

posted
Figure II

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

posted
Figure III

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

posted
Figure IV

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

posted
Figure V

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

posted
Figure VI

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

posted
Figure VII

The movement dates back to 1898 !!

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

posted
Figure VIII

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Dave,
Very pretty watch! Love the two-tone case and contrast of silvertone/goldtone around the edges not to mention the beautiful dial! No extra screw marks right? Did Elgin exclusively make cases for their watches?

Thanks for sharing!

Stephanie O'Neil

Picture of Jim McKinney
posted
Confused Dave, unless my aging eyes Cool deceive me, the case is by C.W.C.Co., Crescent Watch Case Co., with the star & crescent moon trade mark.

Perhaps, like so many other watches during that era, it was not cased at the factory - or - if it was, how about....the lady saw this case afterwards and preferring it to the original Eek "switched"? Razz .... I'm told that's a lady's prerogative, don't ya know ? Roll Eyes Ssshhhhh !!! . . . just don't tell you know who over there at the you know where - heh, heh, heh !!! Razz Big Grin

Regardless, it sure makes for a beautiful combination ! Smile

Timely regards,

posted
Jim,
thanks for pointing out my typo on the case maker. Eek I've corrected it above. Roll Eyes

Regards

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Dave,
When I looked up this watch I get that the date is 1897. I checked because my Pansy's are around that same Serial Number, and sure enough, they are the same date and class, although the grade is different.

According to my book the C.W.C.Co. was also listed, and has hallmarks listed, as Keystone Watch Case. (this one is listed exactly like yours)

Some of the marks like these are shown to be from the American Waltham Watch Co. relating to watch cases. (this one listed a little different but very similar)

So..... ??????????????
Wish I knew this one.

I love the watch, it's gorgeous.

Sheila

posted
I forgot, It also says it's a 0s is yours a 6s for sure? I'm curious.

Sheila

IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Dave,

Lovely watch. I believe Sheila is correct. The serial number on yours does come back as an Os. If you matched the movement with a picture in a book it could easily be mistaken for a 6s. They look a lot alike. It boggles my mind that they could make something this small back in the 1800's!

Here is a picture of my 0s.

IHC Life Member
posted
Here is a picture of the dial. The case is 14K gold.

posted
Very nice watches John and David, i am a Elgin fan, and those are quite nice watches.
But i would still prefer to work on the bigger ones.
Quite a unique case on your watch Dave, i can see why it is your wife,s favourite.

posted
John,
That is fantastic. Really beautiful.
I just love the fancy dials.

Daves watch is fantastic too, I do like that great damaskeening, really an eye catcher.
But the CASE wow. Very unique. I do love an unusual watch.

Those Crescent cases are related to so many companies, I sure wish I could narrow it down to how all that happened. I have read some about it, but there sure isn't much there.
I will find out though, I have been searching for a while and it seems to be that as soon as I have it figured out, it looks different.
Oh well, that's the fun of the search.

Thanks for the Wonderful pictures, they are terrific!

Sheila

posted
Thanks Shelia & John for the updated movement sizing information, I think you're correct it should be a O size.

John I love these old watches with coined edges. Do you think the coined edge on solid gold watches may also have served the same purpose it did on solid gold coins ?? I wonder ?? Confused

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

IHC Life Member
posted
Dave,

I love these particular watches because of the big case look with the pumpkin crowns and large pendants.

Were you referring to coin edging that is used to help the blind distinguish between coinage such as dime vs penny and quarter vs nickel? Some of the gold pieces were small and could have been mistaken for other coinage of that period.

posted
Dave,

Very good observation on the coin edge of a solid gold case. It would make it very hard to "shave" some of the gold off of the thickest part of the watch case.

John,

You are very correct on the "reeded" edges on coins for the blind.

Another reason for the coin or "reeded" edge on coins is to eliminate the "shaving" of precious metal ( gold or silver) from the coin.

Can you believe that even way back then, there were some dishonest people? Roll Eyes

why do coins have reeded edges?

posted
Dave,
Did you also notice that your watch is actually a year OLDER than you thought. It's an 1897 Elgin! Pretty awesome for something that old huh? Oh to live to be 107 years old, and still TICK! lolol

Sheila

IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Dave! This old dog just learned something new today!