Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Hamilton Factory Cases, My Collection "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Weldon Hopkins
posted
Robert,
Well appox. 4yrs,I know most people wont believe me but its true. I have met a lot of very nice people that have help me find what I was looking for, ebay, shows, knowing what to buy and what to pass up. I still believe condition has to be there, my wife says for four years I have talked, eaten, slept pocket watches. Shes probably correct. But I still found time for my Church, and family. One more thing about collecting when it gets to be not fun, I will quit collecting.
Weldon

IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Weldon,
What a great collection of Hamilton cases. Wow-Wow and Wow. I hope one day to have at least one nice example of each Hamilton case. I hope you never get tired of collecting pocketwatches.
Tony

IHC Life Member
posted
Hello Tony,
Thank you for your kind words, I wish you the best on your collection.
Weldon

12-Size Expert
Picture of Robert Schussel
posted
Weldon

Your collection is impressive even to a 12 size collector.

I hope others are willing to share parts of their collection--its the way I am learning about watches outside my speciality

Bob

IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Wow I am impressed what a collection Thanks for sharing them.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

A truly wonderful collection, thanks a million to Weldon for sharing them!

Great images and a very worthwhile explanation of the cases. It is especially helpful to see the case colors which helps us realize the choices that were originally available.

And it gives many of us something to hope for! Smile

Wink

IHC Life Member
posted
Lindell and John,
Thank you for your words, and It's my hope and wish that this will help the newcomer to collecting pocket watches. You know what the saying is, A picture is worth a thousand words.
Weldon

posted
Great photos,Weldon, especially dramatic with the black background. Is there a better example of the Art Deco style than in the model 8 cases, or of Streamline Moderne in model 10? I became familiar with (almost) all the railroad cases back in the 70s when I apprenticed with a Soo Line watch inspector here in Mpls/St Paul. You have the kind of collection I most admire-emphasis on cases.

IHC Life Member
posted
William,
I suppose the Model #8 is one my favorites and yes it does have the good looking Art-Deco style. The Model #10 is classic looking style very clean looking. Probably the most favorite of them all to me is the Model #2 it just looks Railroad all the way.
Weldon

posted
With the model 10 (my favorite) in mind, find a picture of Cincinnati Union Terminal, then look closely again at model 10 - especially the bow. Union Terminal was opened in 1933, the model 10 case came out in the later 30s. Not entirely coincidental, eh?

IHC Life Member
Picture of Mitch Markovitz
posted
quote:
With the model 10 (my favorite) in mind, find a picture of Cincinnati Union Terminal, then look closely again at model 10 - especially the bow. Union Terminal was opened in 1933, the model 10 case came out in the later 30s. Not entirely coincidental, eh?

This is my take on that.

All themes of designs have elements. An element of "Art Deco," and its cousin "Art Moderne" are concentric circles. Part of that movement, especially as it applies to inductrial design was born of The Great Depression and the need for people to "escape" emotionally. The Deco movement was grounded in early Egyptian design elements and Outer Space. Watch Flash Gordon episodes and you'll see what I'm speaking of.

It's merely coincidental that the circles of the Model 10 case and the design elements of Cincinnati Union Station are shared. Just as we like to conjecture the design elements of the Model 11 case being derived from the Southern Pacific "Daylight" insignia, or that of the Santa Fe Chief insignia, good design elements for any one movement in any era will be mirrored.

Attached for everyone's amusement is my "Cincinnati" poster with the depot prominent in the sky behind the train.

Stay tuned for the announcement of their availablitiy.