Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Grade 940 Montana Private label "Click" to Login or Register 
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hamilton Private label dial Kohn's Jewelry Co.
Missoula, Mont.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hamilton Grade 940 Serial No. 212186 movement circa 1902.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
This Hamilton pocket watch, belongs to a retired CPR conductor I used to work with, it was handed down from his uncle, who evidently worked for the railroad out of Missoula, I plan on having it cleaned for him, and do some research on the pocket watch for him. I know the community, having visited it on different occasions, and I am familiar with the railroads that ran through there including the Northern Pacific, and the electrified Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific. I am looking for information on Kohn's Jewelry Co. any help would be appreciated.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Kohn Jewelery Co.
Herman Kohn, jeweler, opticians & watch repairing
1109 N Higgins Ave.
Missoula, Montana

From the 1903-04 Missoula & Ravalli Counties Directory

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
1900 Census Missoula Montana

Herman Kohn born March 1857 in Austria, both parents born in Austria. Arrivied in this country 1880 Jewelery Merchant.

Married to Carrie born June 1860 in Germany, both parents German, arrivied this country 1883

Have a son Irvin born April 1885, daughter Gertrude born Sept. 1886. Both children born in Montana.

In 1920 Census Missoula Montana

Irvin Kohn is listed as a Jeweler & owns a store, perhaps he went onto to own his father's store?

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
In a book titled HISTORY OF MONTANA oage 992

Mentions where a Edward J. Hirshberg married on June 12, 1907 at Missoula Montana, Miss Gertrude Kohn, daughter of Herman Kohn, an old pioneer settler of Missoula, and a well known merchant & jeweler of Missoula. He has been a resident of the state since 1875, and is heavey property holder in & about his home city.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Larry

If you want to give me the names of the prior owners of the watch I will see what I can find for you.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
One more thing on Herman;
The Anaconda Standard October 4, 1901

kohn

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Tom

Thank you for the invaluable information, I am going to our CPR's pensioners luncheon on Tuesday and will ask Don his uncles name

Larry