Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waterbury Regulator No. 70 "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
What can you tell me about this one? Sorry that it is not mine. I took several pictures of this one in a funeral home. It is roughly 6' to 7' tall. Hard to tell the scale of a clock in pictures, but this one is huge. Looks like it is Mahogony wood, and I am pretty sure it was marked Ansonia, but the flash washed out the pictures. It has a real mercury vial pendulum. The pendulum only moves about 1" side to side swing, so it's hard to tell it is even running besides the sweep second hand. I glanced up inside, and the movement is very large, but I was not able to look really close at it. There will be 5 pictures.

The current owners are very proud of it, and I don't blame them!

Andy Big Grin

The International 400 Day Clock Chapter 168.
The Internet Horology Chapter 185 nawcc-ihc.org

Ansonia1

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
next view...

Ansonia2

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
next....

Ansonia3

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
next.....

Ansonia4

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
last picture.

Ansonia5

posted
Andy, it isn't an Ansonia. It is a Waterbury Reg. No. 70. They made two types, a fancy one and a plainer one. This is the fancier one and looks to be made of mahogany. A nice clock which looks to be all proper. William Mittelstadt

William Mittelstadt
IHC Member 166

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Thanks William for the information. I had other things on my mind, my Uncle's funeral, so I didn't remember the right name of the clock. I was hoping the name decal would show up in the pictures. I think those are my favorite style of hands I have ever seen on a clock.

To give you an idea of the size of the clock, look in the first picture. In the bottom left, you can see the floor, so it is just a little off the floor. You can also see the chair rail they cut away to hang the clock. You can see it is nearly to the cieling too. When you see a picture of a clock like this, it just doesn't compare to seeing it in person.

What would be the approximate age on this, and a ballpark value? They will never sell it.

I corrected the name in the message.

Andy

[This message was edited by Andy Krietzer on December 16, 2003 at 16:24.]

posted
The book lists it as circa 1910 and the plain model as 1917. The ball park value (can't do this on the message board as they have their head in the sand) is 8 to 10 k

William Mittelstadt
IHC Member 166

posted
Here is another nice Waterbury Pinwheel Jeweler's Regulator, a Regulator No. 7 circa 1891 in two tone oak case, 82" tall, 25 1/2" wide with 12" porcelain dial and oval rod gridiron pendulum

William Mittelstadt
IHC Member 166

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Thanks William,

I am trying to build a kit that will look similar to this clock (smaller of course). See my message in the wanted section. Looking for a dial and hands like on the #70.

Andy

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
There is plenty of room for the pendulum to make it's whopping 1" (or so) swing! It is hard to believe it is still running. I believe in the top picture, the pendulum is as far to it's left as it swings, comparing it to the cable. The one in Bill's picture may also be as far to the left as it goes.

Andy

posted
I am planning on going to Strongsville. Always enjoyed that show and am very happy they moved back to their old stomping ground. I paid 15k for the Waterbury No. 7 and have seen them sell in the 18 to 20k range. When it comes to a "look" for a nice jeweler's pinwheel it is hard to beat that model. I will be looking forward to meeting many of the 185 chapter members in Strongsville.

William Mittelstadt
IHC Member 166