Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Rockford Hunters "Click" to Login or Register 
Watch Repair Expert
posted
The recent discussions about Rockfords have finally inspired me to take the time to share some images of a few of the 12 size hunters I've accumulated over the years. I didn't really make an effort to assemble this group, they just happened to work their way into my collection one by one, until they became something of a collection within a collection...

The image below is a rough Grade 320. It's a fairly basic 17 jewel model of which the total production was 1,800. It's niceties include a steel escape wheel, a double roller escapement with sapphire pallets, a gold center wheel, and adjustment to heat and cold. This grade once retailed for $33.00, but after the company went out of business, the remaining movements were wholesaled for as little as $8.00 each.

Watch Repair Expert
posted
Next is a Grade 330, which like the Grade 320 above, is a 17 jewel model, but with more amenities. In addition to the steel escape wheel and double roller escapement with sapphire pallets, it has gold jewel settings and gold screws in the balance rim. Curiously enough, however, it does not have a gold center wheel. Total production for this grade was 4,100.

Watch Repair Expert
posted
Next, we'll take a look at some nicer models, including the following Grade 390. Only 1,000 of these were produced, all in one run, and within the last few months of Rockford's production. While the finish and workmanship are beautiful, times must have been really hard, as the only gold part in the watch is the cap jewel setting on the pallet cock (which were probably already in stock). All the rest of the jewel settings, as well as the gear train and the balance screws, are just gold colored base metal.

Watch Repair Expert
posted
In better times, Rockford produced some of the finest watch movements ever created. The following is an example of their Grade 310, which is a truly outstanding example of the watchmaker's art. It's a 21 jewel model with solid gold balance screws, gold jewel settings, a gold center wheel, gold plated third and fourth wheels, and it's adjusted to heat, cold, isochronism, and five positions. It also has arched-top plate and jewel screws, a fine steel escape wheel, and winding wheels that are concave mirror polished almost to their edges. The total production of this "miniature railroad model" was just 400.

Watch Repair Expert
posted
Finally, the following is the Grade 300, which is the pinnacle of Rockford's 12 size production. Together with its open face counterpart (the Grade 305), these are the only 23 jewel models of ANY size that Rockford ever brought to market (although they did produce a 23 jewel 16s model that was marketed by the "Doll Watch Co.").

The Grade 300 really takes the watchmaker's art to an extreme. Instead of just having gold jewel settings, they have RAISED gold jewel settings. Instead of just having arched-top plate and jewel screws, they have mirror polished and beveled plate and jewel screws. Instead of just having winding wheels that are concave mirror polished almost to the edge, they have concave mirror polished winding wheels that are polished all the way to the edge, and with mirror polished and beveled center pieces as well!

They also have solid gold balance screws, complete solid gold gear trains, super-fine steel escape wheels, and a brilliant sun-rayed damascened pattern that's absolutely amazing. All the recessed areas of the plates are bright-spotted on both the top and bottom, and the pillar plate beneath the dial is covered with a damascened pattern that, if anything, may be even more spectacular than the top! Ironically, the total production for the Grade 300 was also 300, but the surviving examples are probably only a fraction of that (in fact, mine is the only one I've ever seen).

Again, I apologize for the poor "scanner photography," but I hope that my effort will inspire others to post additional contributions!

Steve Maddox
President, NAWCC Chapter #62
North Little Rock, Arkansas
IHC Charter Member 49

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
... a sweet suite of watches! Thanks Steve.

Since Steve didn't mention it, I will point out that the 23-jewel model (OF and Htg) did not have a jeweled barrel, so it put the extra two jewels as cap jewels on the third wheel. Arguably about as valuable as Keystone-Howard's jeweled banking pins.

Watch Repair Expert
posted
Jerry -- Thanks for compliment, as well as the additional info! I was going to try to work that in, but I just couldn't figure out how to do it.

By the way, you wouldn't know anyone who happens to have a Grade 305, would you (hint hint)? I'd bet some good pictures of one of those would be really interesting, especially if their photograhphy was better than mine above! Wink

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

SM

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I do happen to know of one (wish it were mine) and I took a few pics when I was cleaning it.

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Even the pillar plate, under the dial, is nicely finished.

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I know it isn't a hunter, but while we are showing 12-size Rockfords Bob Schussel thought you would like to see this personalized Rockford with runic dial and matching enameled signature on the back of the case. (the movement is a 21j grade 315, I believe).