Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Balco Swiss RR watch "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1110
posted
In Roy Ehrhardt's "Beginning to End" book, he has listed in the Swiss-made Ball section,a 16s 21J lever set 5 position "Balco" cal. 536, which were supposed to have been sold in Ball-marked cases.I've known about the Record- Ball watches, but does anyone know who made the 536, or have any info on them?I think I remember seeing a lower non-railroad grade 17J Balco once before on Ebay, but I've never seen a 536, I wonder if these were for the Canadian railroad market? Thanks again, Ted.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Ted:

I believe the Balco cali. 536 were made by Record that made the railroad grade Ball 435, 435B, & 435C pocket watches. I believe I have a 536 in my collection, I will take a look later, the connection with Canadian Ball would be different that used Balco was a trademark from the Canadian Ball watch company. Looking through the inventory of my Ball collection. I did find one with the dial marked CBW abbreviation for Canadian Ball Watch, this was not railway approved, and would've been marketed to bus drivers in the 1950s. I will post some pictures when I get home from the hospital in a couple of weeks.

Larry

IHC Member 1110
posted
Hi Larry, thanks and hope you are doing Ok! Best Regards, Ted.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Ted:

Here are some photos of my Swiss pocket watch with the dial marked CBW (Canadian Ball Watch.)

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Another photo of the dial, it has a real busy seconds bit with 17, 18, and 19, all squeezed in there, most 24-hour dial will have the, 17, and 19 cropped off, by the seconds bit, some will have no sign of the, 17, and 19.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
A photo of the Swiss, 17 jewel movement

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
And here is the Swiss movement close-up marked Adjusted, and 17 jewels, no Serial #.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Cased in Sturdy Nickel Silver case that shows lots of wear.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Inside case back with trademark

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Best wishes for getting home soon Larry.

That's a cool-looking seconds bit, with the 17, 18 & 19 numerals.

Best Regards,

Ed

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Thanks Ed:

I've been home from the hospital since Thursday, I've been bouncing in and out them about five times the summer, it's always good to be back home and hopefully with a little bit of luck I'll be able to stay out of them for a long time in the future, anyways I am keeping my fingers crossed. I'm going to post some of my Waltham 1883's and hope you could move the topic over to members photo gallery, as it gets buried in the pocket watch thread.

Larry

IHC Member 1110
posted
Larry, glad to hear you're doing better and back home.Thanks for the pics, nice looking Balco, that is a pretty cool dial!I remember reading somewhere that these may have been made by Cortebert Watch co., don't know if that's true, but they do look different from the Record Ball movements. Take care, Ted.

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Larry,

Topic moved as requested, with a shortcut in the Ball forum.

Best Regards,

Ed

IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Larry,

I hope you're ok. There should be some really nice crystals waiting for you when you get home!

William