• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Charles Frodsham "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Here is a watch I acquired at the Greater LA regional. The case is hallmarked 1853, and an inscription uses the date 1854. I like English watches and the names on this one got to me. Chas. Frodsham on the dial, and J R Arnold & Chas. Frodsham on the movement. Here is the dial.

posted
Here is the movement.

posted
Jerry,
guess what, I've got a very similar Frodsham watch.

The dial is marked Arnold & Charles Frodsham and the Serial No. 01868. The same Serial No. is on the fusee movement and the 18K Gold case. The hallmarked gold case is from London and dated 1861, it also carries the initials. C.F.

Figure I

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

posted
Figure II

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

posted
Figure III

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

posted
Figure IV

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

posted
Figure V

Here's an extract about Frodsham from Brittens "Old Clocks and Watches".

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

posted
Dave: My watch is in an 18K case hallmarked for London in 1853. The case bears the same serial number as the movement. The case makers mark has proved to be unreadable so far. The serial number versus the hallmark has caused me some concern. I have received much conflicting information from a variety of sources as to the origins of the watch. Frodham's in London has pronounced the watch to be an "enigma", but not a fraud. Any data you can supply will be appreciated.