Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham Model 1883 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
A Crescent Street.

posted
An Appleton Tracy that is listed as Special Grade. Some of this run was used as CPRs.

IHC Member 1357
posted
Nice collection Peter!!
Roger

IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Peter, Do we have a Roman Numeral Dial on a CPR watch, is that an oops?

posted
Patrick, I have had three other 18 size 1883 CPRs with the identical Double Sunk Roman Numeral 24 hour dial. I think they were a standard dial such as this one and the one shown here.

Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Fine-looking pieces, Peter. And I agree wholeheartedly with Deacon about Larry's CPR watch.

kh

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Deacon:

I don't think I'll be parting with this 1883 CPR, it comes with a great provenance that I will be posting on the photo gallery soon.

Larry

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Patrick:

The Roman numeral 24-hour dial was widely used on the CPR, CNoR, and GTP lines in Western Canada from the 1890s into the early 1900s. It was also used on their Seth Thomas comparison clocks at station, such as this one a Seth Thomas "World" used by the CNR number R 1028 marked on the dial.

Larry

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Waltham 18 size, 15 jewel, gilt Grade Appleton Tracy & Co. Model 1883 Serial No. 3837324 Manufactured 1889 marked "Dominion Railways" movement. Double sunk Roman Numeral 24-hour dial with hand-painted colored scene of American steam locomotive 0-4-4 with "Dominion" marked on tender. Case hunter Keystone hinged back & bezel Coin silver with Keystone Coin-C in Keystone logo.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Movement unfortunately someone chose to polish off the gilding on the barrel bridge and movement plate at one time.

Larry

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Case Back with shield

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Keystone case trademark

IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
A little trivia question to send everyone scrambling to google.

Why is the 1883 called the "Church model"?

IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Peter & Larry.
Thats what I like about this club. You learn something new almost every time you jump on board.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Lorne:

You had me thinking a bit this Sunday afternoon, then I remembered Duane Church was the master watchmaker, grade designer, and inventor of watch making machinery at the American Waltham Watch Company.

Larry

IHC Member 1541
posted
......and apparently the one who designed the 1883.

Here is a piece about him, the 1883 isn't mentioned here but it refers to some of the innovations credited to him, pretty smart guy: Duane H. Church.

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Here's a Model 1883 Railroad King Special (number 7133137) with specially marked dial and movement.

Here's the Dial, With the Marking "For R. R. Service"

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted

And Here's the Movement, marked "Railroad King Special"

IHC Member 1541
posted
Very nice Ed! Both sites I checked show it as P.S. Bartlett.

Is there a story to these watches as in are they considered a private label and if so who had them made, how many?

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
There's no single private label connection that I know of Lorne, just a cool specially marked variety. It's a 2-star (Less than 1,000 ever made) watch in Shugart.

Best Regards,

Ed

IHC Member 1613
posted
17 jewel Santa Fe Route...

IHC Member 1613
posted
pic 2