Know what's unusual about this Howard?????? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
Wink Smile

posted
Great scan Harold!
Glad to see you use a CD disc for a background also.

My guess: Is it the huge jewel on the motor barrel?

Phil Dellinger
NAWCC# 157070
IHC Life Member (L12)

posted
Odd hairspring stud?

Aaron

posted
I know but will give the other readers a chance to guess. Wink
Louis

Louis Christina
Not a Howard Expert, I just like them. Smile

[This message was edited by Louis on August 31, 2003 at 1:52.]

IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
Hi Louis, I knew you would know, but there is one feature that might be new to you, it was a surprise to me when I received this watch. Wink
Harold

posted
Hummm, better take a closer look.

Louis Christina

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
It looks like a KW/KS movement with a stem-wind mechanism (I can see the detent screw). If this is like the one we saw at the Seminar it is key-set only. see - http://www.awco.org/Seminar2002/HowardTheme/h14.htm

IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
Guys, I suspected that Louis knew allready what Jerry posted, it is a rare nickel keywind/stemwind, key set only Howard. What's also unusual about this watch, is the fact that it is the only keywind Howard I have ever seen or owned(other then the similar one that was displayed at the 02 NAWCC Seminar), that winds clockwise! All other keywind Howards, without exception, wind in the counterclockwise direction. Big Grin

posted
Hi Harold,

I knew that also, I was thinking that there was something physically visible on the movement that was different. I have a picture attached that you may have not seen. This one is key set and stem set along with being key wind/stem wind.

Wish I could take pictures like the one you posted, my camera's macro is not very good, I can only get within about seven inches of the subject matter.
Louis

PS: Was wondering if you have any pictures of experimental Howards that you can post.

Louis Christina

IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
Hi Louis, I had forgotten that you own one of these nickel transitional versions.Sorry I can't post any experimental Howards, but I can tell you this, in Clint Gellers upcoming in depth article on the early Howards there will be about half-a-dozen experimental Howard pics. Smile I really like that bow on your example! Amazing that two out of the three total of this version known to exist are pictured here on this board!! I don't know of any other true Lsz. transitionals do you?
Cheers, Harold

posted
Hi Harold,
I have only seen one other so far, it was a partial movement. I believe the serial number was 56,328.
Louis

Louis Christina

E. Howard Expert
Picture of Dr. Clint Geller
posted
Louis' watch has a very interesting hunting case-to-open-face conversion dial as well. I've never seen one exactly like it.

It's nice seeing these watches again. Of the three known (to me) complete nickel L Size KW/SW Howard movements, I have owned all three at one time or another. My current exampe is S# 56,307 that was exhibited at the seminar. There is a picture of one - in the BULLETIN Research Activities and News Column. That was an incomplete movement. Then I found S# 56,330 several years ago, a complete watch which currently belongs to Louis. More recently, I have documented the two other examples discussed.

Clint Geller

posted
Wow! those are some really fine watches! Thanks to both Louis and Harold for showing them.

Who would have guessed we'd have two of the three right here. Really cool stuff. I'll just leave my greasy old scratched up Elgin in my pocket. Big Grin

Once again thanks for showing them.

Aaron

E. Howard Expert
Picture of Dr. Clint Geller
posted
I suppose it would be a crying shame not to put up a picture of the only other complete known example on the same thread. According to the factory records, Howard made 40 nickel L Size KW/SW transitionals, beginning at S# 56,301 .

Clint Geller