Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A well-traveled fusee "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
This watch came to me through my father from his father, although I doubt anyone in my family ever wore it. It is in a rather slim (for the time) but large diameter (6 cm) single-hinged case. The silver case has makers mark "PG" in a diamond. The history of this watch (before it came to my family) is sketchily recorded by repairer's marks on the mechanism and by a watchpaper in the back of the case. It was probably made in France around 1800, spent time in Paris and then came over the sea to Philadelphia in the late 1820s or 1830s. By the middle of the 1800s it had found its way to Sackets Harbor, NY. How do I know where it has been? Read on ...

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
This French verge fusee is unusual in having the balance wheel exposed in the upper part of the dial.

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
The movement is unsigned, but notes scratched on the mainspring barrel appear to record part of its repair history. Marks on the barrel (as closely as I can interpret the scratches) include "C. Guiteau 1828", "R.H. Putney", and "L. Quandale". Baillie lists a Guiteau in Paris from 1812-25 and he apparently worked on watches at least a few years after that. Lewis Quandale is recorded in Philadelphia from 1813-25, and he, likewise, was apparently in business a little later (as I doubt the watch traveled back to Paris for the 1828 repair). I have not found Putney.

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
The watch paper in the back of the case is from Sackets-Harbor, New York which had a major port facility. The jewelry and watch trade of Asa R. Ford is known from an 1839 advertisement and his house or shop is shown on a town map in the 1864 Jefferson County atlas (courtesy of Sackets Harbor historical society). He probably sold the watch to, or repaired it for, the contemporary owner. The signature on the watchpaper is that of H.W.Pane, the presumed owner. The residence of H.W. Payne (spelling variant) is also shown on the 1864 town map. Henry W. Payne died in 1864 at age 45 according to his epitaph.

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
This is a portion of the 1864 Sackets Harbor town map. Ford's shop is labeled on the right and the other highlighted building is shown in the legend to be the home of H.W. Payne.

Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Hi Jerry,

Wow, what great research! And so thorough as well. Jerry, does the watch keep time?

I really enjoyed reading the history on this. Thanks again for sharing this information with us! Thanks for putting this one in Timekeepers Gallery for archive!

Stephanie O'Neil

Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
Jerry,
Thanks for posting again which gives me a chance for a comment I had in mind: it is a rather modernistic case for a watch of that time, not alike of anything I have seen for that era, do you think is original to the watch?

Regards

posted
Just a short walk to Mr. Ford's shop wasn't it?

Wonderful thread Jerry and thanks for posting!

Fred

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I am glad you enjoyed it. The watch keeps OK time for a verge fusee, but I do not run it often.
Carlos - even at this date the continental watches tended to be somewhat thinner than the English watches. I suspect that the case is original. The number stamped in the case matches the number stamped under the dial. I have seen the identical case mark in a case on a French verge watch by Romilly, who died in 1794.

Picture of Stephen L. Russell
posted
I love the watch Jerry and enjoyable research reading to boot!

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...provenance...it's wonderful to know it and important to the 'piece as well to be able to produce it...enjoyed reading the result of your research Jerry...thanks...