Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Shadow Box of Illinois Watch Companies "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
I have finally finished a project I have been working on all winter. It is a shadow box displaying keywind pocket watches from watch companies in operation in Illinois in 1870s and 80s. I just love these big, shiny watches. I got the first one, a Cornell, from my Grandfather and bought the rest on-line. I built this to honor my Grandfather who worked on the railroads in Illinois and collected watches.

The watch companies represented here are Illinois Watch Company, Elgin Watch Company, Aurora Watch Company, Rockford Watch Company, and Cornell Watch Company. I also want to add a Peoria Watch Company example at some point.

The watches are all keywind/keyset with the watch company or city name on the dial and movement. Each watch has a full plate gilded movement and a plain 3-5 oz coin silver case. The exception is the Aurora which has a Silveroid case.

The shadow box is 37" tall, 25" wide, and 3 1/2 inches deep. Behind the watches is a reproduction railroad map of Illinois from 1898 by Rand McNally. I have hung the watches near the cities where each of the watch factories was located. For obvious reasons, most are near Chicago.

The only item left for me to complete is to get a piece of glass fit that will slide in from the right. That and find a Peoria that is within my budget. Wink

I hope you enjoy the shadow box and the watches.

John III

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Map Details

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Closeup of the Chicago area. I grew up in Joliet, Ill which is to the right of the bow of the bottom watch.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
And we can't forget my favorite, Illinois Watch Company, all the way down in Springfield.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Here is the dial of the Elgin

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
And the movement, G.M. Wheeler Grade, serial no. 302051, which dates the watch to about 1872.

The watch is housed in a 3 oz D&Co (Dueber?), coin silver case, serial no. 63271.

More pictures of the remaining watches after I get new camera batteries.

John III

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Very nice John. May I suggest? When you contact the glass company, buy treated glass, a lot safer around the boys. Post the watch you need for Peoria and I will keep an eye out. Smile

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

John,

You did a wonderful job on your project. What a nice tribute to your grandfather as well!

Thanks for sharing those photos with us.

Debbie
Smile

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Very nice display of Illinois Horological History, and a Fitting Tribute to Your Grandfather

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Nice job John.
On your D&Co. case, it stands for Duhme & Co. The book says they started in the watch case business in Cincinnati, Ohio in 1871. They made both gold and silver cases. In 1872 they purchased the business of Frank Doll. By 1889, they employed about sixty-five workers, and were making some 5,000 watch cases a year.
Brian C.

posted
What a great idea. I've been collecting Illinois watches for a long time, myself, but never thought to display them this way. All you need now is a Peoria. Great work!

posted
Oh, yes, and don't forget Westclox. They made dollar watches, but they made a lot of them. I think they were an important company.