Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

CH Hulburd "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
Elgin's best 12 size at the time. 18k Elgin case.

IHC Member 25
IHC Life Member (L6)

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
The first Hulburds offered (around 1922) were cased in unique combinations of dial and case and sold for between $325 and $500. One of the earliest examples was featured on John Cote's Watch-of-the-Month ( http://www.interstatetime.com/WatchOTM/WatchOTM-6-02.htm ). The first Hulburd's produced were not named on the movement, only on the case. These thinnest of American watches had no second hand at this time. By 1923 a platinum cased model was also available for $750. These were marketed as Elgin's Presentation series.

By the late '20s (based on old advertising) some models also start to have second hands. Price range was $375-$750. Elgin still claims that no two are alike. Larry's is probably from this period -- I have not seen another case like it, although the dial is repeated on many examples.

By the late '30s it seems that Elgin was trying harder to reduce their Hulburd inventory, and some known examples seem to have very similar dials and cases. A platinum cased model was down to $400, and $200 in gold. The dials were marked "Lord Elgin"

I have documented examples from 6 of the 8 listed production runs of this fascinating watch (grade 446), and would love to hear about other examples or hear from other Hulburd enthusiasts.

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Hmmm - it seems that there are no pictures in this gallery thread anymore, so here are some new ones. This first is the earliest example I have seen - before they named the watch (grade 446) for Elgin's president, Charles H. Hulburd. Probably from 1921 or early 1922 the case is marked "Lord Elgin III" and is the only example I know of that is so marked. The first of these watches were in cases by Wadsworth.

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Here is another Wadsworth cased example that was presented in 1923.

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I think that I can define three general periods of Hulburd production based on case manufacture. The first ones, as shown above, were in Wadsworth cases. A middle period (late '20s) used cases of an as-yet unknown maker -- Larry's watch that started this thread is an example. [Larry - can you re-post a picture of yours?] The last period, in the '30s and '40s, is characterized mostly by Schwab & Wuischpard cases.

I would love to hear about any other examples to add to my research.
[Thanks again to Bill Briska and the Elgin Area Historical Society for their assistance in my research].

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
These two examples, culled from Antiquorum's auction site, represent the middle period (left) and a very late S&W case (right).

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Jerry, I have shown you my Wadsworth cased Hulburd, but here it is again.

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Ethan's watch is a very nice example illustrating the transition, while still in a Wadsworth case, to a dial with a seconds hand.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Here is my Hulburd. Nice deco styling. The edge of the case also has a deco design, but does not show in this picture. It has the same hour number style as Ethan's example.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The movement.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Consistent with Jerry's description of the design progression of this model, I would have expected my Hulburd to have a lower serial number than yours, Tom, and it does have a lower number, 28,254,022 v. your 28,844,066.

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Tom - thanks for posting your fine example. I believe you have the one that Larry originally posted. I have also seen the identical case pattern in yellow gold. These are in the second series of cases that I am trying to identify further.

Regarding Ethan's observation - most watches from the first and second production runs are in Wadsworth cases. A new casemaker was introduced for Tom's third run watch.

12-Size Expert
Picture of Robert Schussel
posted
Here is a CH Hulbard from the second run. Wadsworth was the casemaker and the case is 14kt.

There are only three Hulbards known with enameling

Bob

2nd run of Hulbards