Page 1 2 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A few pictures of public clocks "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Recently on a road trip, I ran upon a few public clocks.
The first clock is on the San Juan County Courthouse in Silverton, Colorado. Silverton is the upper destination of the Durango and Silverton narrow gauge railroad. The steam rail line (45 miles long) is a popular attraction and is in Southwestern Colorado.

posted
The second photo is of the same clock, only a closer view. Silverton is an early mining town and the elevation is near 9000 ft. The narrow gauge rail line was originally built to serve the mining industry

posted
The next photo is of a clock on the main street in Durango, Colorado. Durango is the starting point for the narrow gauge railroad. I am sorry, but I did not note which building this clock was mounted on.

[This message was edited by Dick Feldman on March 16, 2004 at 23:51.]

posted
The next two photos are of the clock on the General Palmer Hotel, again in Durango Colorado. The rest of the hotel is very elegant.

posted
Close up of the General Palmer Hotel clock.

posted
Kevin,
Interestingly, all of the clocks were working when I took the pictures. (last weekend) Colorado is a place with various climates, mostly depending on the altitude. Silverton is in the San Juan Mountains, which normally get a lot of snow. The mountains are also steep. The San Juans are not the highest mountains we have in Colorado.
The day we were in Silverton, we saw a house where the inhabitants had to shovel snow away from their windows to see out. Most of that snow had slid off of the roof. That is still a lot of snow. In Durango, 45 miles away, there was no snow and motorcycles were out.
Best Regards,
Dick Feldman
Berthoud, Colorado

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Dick,
I was also going to start a thread on these when I got my pictures developed! Here are ones I found in this area.

Andy.

Ohio Valley National Bank, Henderson, KY.

Henderson KY

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Evansville, IN, Integra bank (new).

Evansville Integra Bank

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
New clock tower, Evansville, IN (do you like my car?). Big Grin

Evansville Main and Sixth

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Street Clock, Main St. Evansville.

Street Clock Evansville

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
I think this was a Montgomery Ward store, Evansville.

Main St. Evansville

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Montgomery Ward Evansville

Montgomery Ward 3

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Spencer County Courthouse, Rockport, IN.

Rockport, IN

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Owensboro, KY.

Owensboro, KY

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Newburgh, IN streetclock (new?).

Newburgh, IN

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
More views of the Montgomery Ward clock, Evansville.

Montgomery Ward Evansville, IN

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Another view of the Montgomery Ward clock. This clock is what inspired me to take pictures of these outdoor clocks. I wanted to get a good view of this clock before it is lost. I really like the hands, but it is very hard to get a good view of it.

Montgomery Ward 7

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
This is the Evansville (IN) courthouse that was built in the 1880s and used until the 1970s. Undergoing roof repair.

Andy

Evansville Old Courthouse

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
This is the Warrick County (IN) courthouse in Booneville. Can you spot a mistake? Roll Eyes

Andy

Booneville Courthouse

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Street clock in Booneville, IN.

Andy

So many clocks, so little time.

Booneville street clock

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
In case you're wondering about the mistake I mentioned above, it may not be very clear in my picture. They wrote the date on the Booneville, IN courthouse in Roman numerals "MDCCCCIIII" for the year 1904. It should have been "MCMIV". I guess they were getting paid by the letter!

Andy

So many clocks, so little time.

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
This is the new Central Library in Evansville, IN, just dedicated September 18, 2004. So this is the newest of the new street clocks. This one was donated by the Kiwanis, and cost more than $20,000. It was made by the Verdin Co. of Cincinnatti, and is 17 feet tall. It is computerized and controlled and set from inside the library. It only needs to have the lights replaced every 8 years.

Andy

Central Library clock