Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

J C Brown ripple front gothic "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
This is a J C Brown clock from about 1846 to 1855 era. This is what they call a "ripple" front, because of the carved moulding. It is in the as-found condition, and as you can see, I need to do some repairs. Not too bad for something 150 years old!

Andy

J C Brown

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Another view.....

J C Brown

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
another view....

J C Brown

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
another view........

J C Brown

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
This is a business card which was attached to the back. The store was here in Evansville, IN. I am going to try to research to see when that business was there, to see if they were the original sellers, or a later repair.

J C Brown

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Lable inside. J C Brown went out of business in 1855, and his factory was bought by Welch, who made similar clocks for a while. Most of the "ripple" moulding clocks were either made by J C Brown and his related Forestville clocks, or for a while by Welch.

Hopefully I will eventually be able to post an "after" picture one day. After repaired, that is.

Andy.

J C Brown

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Fantastic!! That has been high on my wish list for years. Any chance we can get a peek at the works!

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Tom,

Unfortunately the original works escaped the case years ago. Now it has an Ansonia movement, which I hope to replace with an original when I find one. Notice the winding holes are enlarged so that the Ansonia can be wound. The Ansonia movement is more narrow than the original, so the winding holes had to be cut out larger on the original dial.

I just bought a book on Jonathan Clark Brown to try to figure out the exact movement this clock should have. It would have been marked either J C Brown or Forestville, since he was making clocks with both markings. It originally had an alarm. A movement just sold on ebay, but it didn't have the alarm attachment. I also need the original gong mount, alarm mechanism, and bell.

I had seen a picture of this style clock years ago, but I didn't know anything about them until after I got this one at the pocket watch auction I told you guys about.

Andy.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Andy I have one ripple front from J.C.Brown. It is an ocagong and is discussed here. (Scroll to the top to see pictures.)

Your OG round gothic, or "Onion Top" is a gorgeous clock. Good luck in finding a movement.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Andy,
I found this picture of one of the sister clocks, and the movement. This is from "American Shelf and Wall Clocks" by Ball.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Tom,

Thanks for the info, and the link to the previous thread. I thought I had seen pictures and read the "ripple" case mentioned before, but I didn't remember where it was. Jack had mentioned in the other thread about J C Brown's machines for cutting the trim. I just bought the book by Kenneth Roberts and Snowden Taylor (from 1980s, NAWCC) on "Jonathon Clark Brown and the Forestville clocks". It goes into detail on the trim. Apparently the JC Brown factory burned down in 1853, and possibly the carving machines were destroyed then. The Forestville plant, also owned by Brown did not burn. Welch bought out Brown's new plant and the Forestville plant in 1856 or so, and it is possible that the Welch clocks with ripple moulding were actually made before the 1853 fire. It described the machine, and shows a lot of different patterns of the carving. It looked to me like they could change the cutters easy enough to make many clocks look different from each other. I can't figure out how the "S" curves at the top of my clock were made. There is a man who figured out a way to make the mouldings.

After J C Brown went bankrupt and sold out, he patented an octagon shaped clock case. Then he did other business adventures, nothing else to do with clocks.

Thanks for the picture of the sharp gothic. That is basically how my clock's movement and alarm should look.

Andy

The International 400 Day Clock Chapter 168.
The Internet Horology Chapter 185 nawcc-ihc.org

posted
I refer to your case design as a daouble steeple, ripple front. But I guess it's just semantics. Very nice clock!

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Steve C,

Can you post a picture of the one you have? I am researching these, and I don't think I have seen two that are alike. I am trying to find a movement with alarm just like the one in the picture before this mesage. I am still not sure if the movement should be marked J C Brown or Forestville. I thought it should be Brown, but so far what I have read, is should say Forestville. Brown owned both names. Steve, what is the name on your movement?

Andy.

posted
But I moved a year ago, and a lot of that stuff is in boxes. As soon as I do find it, I'll sure post an image here.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Andy,
Perhaps yours had the fusee movement?

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Tom,

The winding holes in my dial are for the regular 8 day movement, not the fusee model. Notice the winding arbors on the fusee movement are in line with the hour post. I assume the fusee movement would be very expensive if one ever came up for sale.

From what I understand, the fusee movement is a 30 hour movement, but when they added the fusee, it made it run 8 days. I wonder which is better?

Thanks for the picture. What book is that in?

Andy.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Andy,

I guess it is good that it is not the fusee model. I have never seen the movement for sale. I know the $$ needed would be more than I could afford.

The picture is from the book you are getting. Jonathon Clark Brown and the Forrestville Manufacturing Company, by Roberts and Taylor. I thought I had the book when you first posted, but couldn't locate it until now. You will enjoy reading the details on this one. Great book!

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
Another ripple..is this causing a ripple effect. This is a J.C. brown with a W.S. Johnson label who was the retailer. New York 1841-1861. i also have a ripple behive that someone put a t&s seth thomas movement in. Have been looking for a movement for several years..anyone have one? Thanks Doug Barr

Doug Barr

IHC185 Member 313

rip

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Doug,
That is a beautiful ripple. I have one clock with a W. S. Johnson label. It is an OG and the fancy lyre movement is also marked W. S. Johnson.

The clocks in the background are not too shabby! I would like to see a new thread started on each of those. They are not the run of the mill clocks and, I think, would be of interest to our members.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
motion seconded!, if you don't mind Doug..