Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin Clock Company "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jack Davis
posted
This car clock was not manufactured by the Elgin National Watch Factory. The movement is engraved, The Elgin Clock Co., 7 Jewels and two sets of serial numbers, 122044 and 1011621.

The movement is also smaller than other car clocks measuring about 1.5" or 40mm.

Jack

Picture of Jack Davis
posted
The dial is marked Hunter.

Picture of Jack Davis
posted
I had been under the impression that Elgin clocks were manufactured in Germany and marketed by the Welby division of Elgin Industries.

It is my understanding now that The Elgin Clock Co. occupied some space in the Elgin Watch College for a period of time in the late 1920's but was not a part of the Elgin Watch company's business.

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Regardless of the name on the movement or dial, that movement was made by New York Standard. It is identical to a 16 size NYS, right down to the same (lot or batch?) number 1011621 stamped on the pillar plate.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Picture of Jack Davis
posted
Kevin,
I think you may be right about this being a travel clock.

Ed,
The mystery deepens! Smile NYS movements marketed (presumably) by the Elgin Clock Co. The following is the only other information I have found about the company.

"The Mason County Horological Society organized the construction of the Village Time Museum, affectionately known as the "Clock Shop" in 1990.

The clocks on display are primarily from the large donation of clocks and watches by Mrs. Hazel Oldt.

The Pantograph (engraving) Machines are from the Star Watch Case Company, which was one of the leading industries of Ludington for many years. To our knowledge there is only one other of these machines left in the United States and it is in private hands. All the other machines were sold into the European market when the Star Watch Case Company closed its door in 1982. The Pantograph Machine was invented by Andrew Halberg somewhere between 1913 to 1919. He had no formal college training, but had a keen mechanical ability and was originally hired by the Elgin Clock Co. in Illinois. They sent him to take charge of the tool and die room at Star Watch Case Company in 1903.