• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

JP STEVENS, 17J, 18s, by HAMPDEN "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
About the time Karl Benz took out a patent for the internal combustion engine and put the first automobile in production (1885), JP Stevens was building a fine watch for its day, but the company was beginning to fail. Before it failed in 1887, Stevens, Atlanta, GA, had contracted with several other watch companies to help him build watches, and one of these was Hampden who produced the movement seen in this picture. The most interesting feature of his watch design is his patented regulator.

posted
JP Stevens patent regulator stands out against nice gilt plates.

posted
This JP Stevens watch is housed in a beautiful Hunter case seen here on one side, and....

posted
....on the other side.

posted
Case marks on two different covers are shown in this "picture in picture". Its nice.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Thanks for showing the watch Mike, just fantastic looking. I have never seen a regulator like that, & the case is A OK too.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Mike

You may already know this but in case you don't & are interested.

J.P. Stevens was born March 23,1852 in Lumpkin Georgia, his wife was born in Atlanta on Dec. 9, 1858& her name was Jeannie.

This image is from 1877 Atlanta City Directory.

Tom

CD

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
This is a little torn, it is from the Sep 8, 1881 Atlanta Constitution.

Also doing a google search the business name is still active in Atlanta.

Tom

paper

posted
Tom, I luv yer followups! I googled Markham House and see that it was located across from Atlanta's main RR terminal until it burned in 1896. That location would seem to suit a watch guy. Stevens obviously moved to Whitehall street after the fire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markham_House

posted
The case of this watch was mfg'd by B.P. & W. (see above picture). I would like to know what these initials stand for. Please help.
Mike

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Mike

Looking through US Horological Trademark Index I can't find BP&W, other than the 14K mark you show there isn't any other trade mark is there?

Tom

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
So far the only other thing I could find was back in 2008 Jones-Horan auctioned a 16s Elgin in a 18K BP&W case, there were no photos or other information.