• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

18S ILLINOIS PRIVATE LABEL (Check this one out!!) "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
18 Size - 17 Jewel - ILLINOIS - Private Label - W. D. Heath Lakeport N.H. - Chalmers Patented Regulator - S/N 1192739 - ca 1893. Case is not original to this movement.

Question: Can this dial be repaired?

Phil Dellinger
NAWCC# 157070
IHC Life Member (L12) Wink

[This message was edited by Phil D on October 22, 2003 at 15:23.]

posted
movement

Picture of David Johnson
posted
Phil,

Compare your watch with one I am currently running on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2665722492&category=3940&rd=1

Same private label!

When I first listed this watch, I suspected it may have been a Railroad inspectors watch as they tended to have nicer dials and movements in them. I am not so sure this is the case now. Do you have any info on who this was?

David Johnson aka "Doc"
NAWCC Member #155016
IHC Member #169
HisLove1Me! (just ask!)

posted
Doc,

How unusual that we have watches so close together with the same private label. Serial numbers are only 5 away from each other!! Eek Yours: 1192744 Mine: 1192739 Eek

The reference that I am using shows that the serial numbers are in the run of 1192701-1192800 for the year of 1893.

I bought my watch at a local pawn shop in SLC a few years ago because I was facinated with the beautiful checkerboard movement. Sorry, I don't have any further information on the watch.

Phil Dellinger
NAWCC# 157070
IHC Life Member (L12) Wink

[This message was edited by Phil D on October 22, 2003 at 15:21.]

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
According to the database that Kent Singer and I keep, some years ago there was a listing for a Hamilton Grade 926, S/N 40943, with "W.D. Heath Lakeport, N.H." on the movement and "W.D. Heath Special for Railway Service" on the dial. This might butress Doc's theory that Heath was a railroad inspector.

Ed Ueberall
NAWCC 49688
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

posted
To see the rest of the story on this W. D. Heath pocket watch click on the following link:

W. D. Heath Pocketwatch

posted
movement proximity.....

it would not surprise me to find a same private label withing 5 of each other...

According to Meggers.... he believed many watches were made in groups of ten... maybe 20

RE: dial repair...

possible.... but a correct repair would require dial de-soldering....

i think i would leave it be...