Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A very unique 992B "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member

Picture of Fred R. Hougham
posted
Hello everyone,
Here's a very unique ( I like that better than rare) Hamilton 992b military # C 1279 from my fathers military collection.
Two things make this watch " unique"
They are seldom found in a three tier box, and this watch is triple marked U. S. Navy
( case, movement & dial .)
regards
fred

IHC Life Member

posted
dial

IHC Life Member

posted
case

IHC Life Member

posted
movement

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

"Bureau of Aeronautics United States Navy"
and produced in 1940, before the U.S. entry into "the big one" came a year later. What a great item, Fred. Thanks to both you and your dad for sharing it with us.

That dial is so cool,

Lindell

Wink

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Fred, is that one of the silver-cased versions, as well?

IHC Life Member

posted
jerry,
yes, keystone 800 fine silver
fred

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Fred,
I'm a little confused. While Swiss coin silver cases were often, but not always, 0.800 fine (that is, 800 parts pure silver, alloyed with 200 parts base metals), American coin silver is 0.900 fine, the same composition as U.S. silver coins minted before 1964.
Since the case is made by Keystone, what are the exact markings in the inside of the case back? Did Keystone make these cases with a lower silver content than normal civilian cases, possibly because of wartime needs?

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Ed,

They used Military Silver Cases for only a short time in 1942 from what I understand. Mine houses Movement 4C-12417 which is in the normal range of silver cased watches. The marking on my case is "KEYSTONE SILVER .800 FINE" as well. Unfortunately, there is also a service mark in that area.

Below, the typical marking on WWII Silver Cases...