• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham Regulator No. 16 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Waltham made some very fine regulators that don't get the attention that Howard and Seth Thomas do but are just as fine. This particular regulator came out of a train station in Montreal. The oak case od 67 1/2" tall with a 12" dial. As you can see I need to compound the weight to make it correct.

William Mittelstadt
IHC Member 166

posted
Here is a close up of the dial

William Mittelstadt
IHC Member 166

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
William:

Do you know which train station in Montreal your regulator came out of?

Larry Buchan
Buchaneer

IHC Charter Member 28
IHC Life Member (L7)

posted
Larry, I bought the clock over a year ago on Ebay from a guy in Canada who was selling it for a friend's wife after the collector passed away and he said the fellow collected train stuff and this was his pride and joy. He stated it came out of a train station in Montreal but didn't say which one.

William Mittelstadt
IHC Member 166

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
William:

Real beautiful regulator it would be interesting to know where it came from. From what I know Canadian Pacific Railway seemed to use Seth Thomas clocks on their system. So my guess would be Canadian National Railways or one of their predecessors.

Larry Buchan

IHC Charter Member 28
IHC Life Member (L7)

Picture of Jim Dyson
posted
Regulator Buffs,
Don't think because there are two of these posted to the board, that they are common. They aren't, Waltham made very few regulator clocks compared to Seth Thomas and even E. Howard. This clock is very similar to Bill's, except this is a different variation on the dial, no five minute marks and the signature simply, Waltham. This clock was originally sold to C. Jansen Co., of Davenport, Iowa, fine jewelry since 1895, where it hung from about 1900 to 1989, when the store closed. The finish in all respects is original and just has 100 years of aging, well cared for, in a good environment.
Jim Dyson

[This message was edited by Jim Dyson on December 01, 2003 at 17:34.]

[This message was edited by Jim Dyson on December 01, 2003 at 21:40.]

Waltham 16