Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Which PW chain would be authentic for Hamilton? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Chris Schirren
posted
Hi guys, I am new to this forum, hope this lands in the right place: I collect Hamilton wrist and pocket watches. I wonder what kind of pocket watch chains could be considered authentic for Hamilton 1900-1940 RailRoad Pocket Watches such as 936, 992 or 992B.

Thank you kindly!

Posts: 58 | Location: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: September 02, 2005
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
Chris,

I would think just about anything would be appropriate as long as it was contemporaneous. Just look through some old catalogs and see what chains were available.

Best,

Frank "407" Kusumoto

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
posted
Chris,

Well, "authentic" could be anything from an old shoe-string (my dad's favorite) to an old leather strap (his dad's favorite) to a good metal chain. Chains came in all shapes and sizes. There weren't "factory supplied" chains, like there were "factory cased" watches. So about anything goes.

Perhaps some of our railroad historians could chime in on what they have seen in their travels as the "engineer's favorite" for that time period. (Larry Buchan would be the first I'd ask)

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Hi Chris,

I can't answer your question but I want to welcome you to IHC 185. This is a great site for information and help. Smile Hope you enjoy your time here.

Barbara

Wink

Posts: 315 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: April 07, 2005
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I know the plaited leather fob, like the one Kyle Should makes and advertises in our advertiser section, was the tried and true item used by the railroaders of the N&W in my hometown.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Chris,
Welcome to this site. Here is a link to a great idea for carrying your pocket watch. I purchased one of these and will testify that they are strong and practical. They also have a very nice look to them.

Plaited Kangaroo Leather

posted
I'm sure there were other brands but around here the Simmons chains were tops.I have a gold filled double taper with fancy links I would not get rid of.
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I love Simmons chains, but can never find one in any kind of decent shape. The folks who owned them WORE them, and the ones that usually pop up on ebay are pretty far gone.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Chris Schirren
posted
Thanks for everyone, just found out today that I disabled email notice for replies...

Posts: 58 | Location: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: September 02, 2005