Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Books by Henry Fried "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Are you aware that there is a 1961 edition of The Watch Repairer's Manual? I just received a copy from Amazon for 45.00 (Paper Back) New.
It covers later information than the 1949 edition and has better pictures. Really it is a fantastic book. It covers self winding up to battery powered but has a ton of information on Pocket watches. Also it covers and explains in a more forthright way being geared for the repair person who has an understanding of the material's in the 1949 edition.
Really it is a GREAT BOOK!

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
posted
Patrick, there is also 4th edition from 1986 which is available from the Watchmakers-Clockmakers Institute book store in hardback for $43.99 + shipping. It includes an extensive section of verge fusee watches plus some other added sections.

Fried4th

Posts: 346 | Location: Woodland Hills, California in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2011
posted
guys, it seems that this book is no longer available on awci website, do you know were I can buy newest edition(4th)? I could only find older ones on ebay and amazon. In reasonable price, Ive seen some for 100+ per piece....

I will answer myself - book will be back in shop in 30 days (per email from AWCI person I received)

Rafal

Posts: 266 | Location: Wroclaw in Poland | Registered: May 06, 2013
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Here is a picture of an original cover for the 2nd addition.

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
posted
And it sold for $6.95.

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
posted
Coincidentally Fritz signed the book 49 years ago to the day.

RR

Picture of Brian C.
posted
I have a copy of the fourth edition, and it's the best book on watch repairing I've seen. Pick one up if you can find one.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Another Fried book worth owning is "Bench Practices for Watch and Clockmakers", 260 pages. I picked up a new paperback copy online for around $20.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
IHC Member 1947
Picture of Serge Barlas
posted
Greetings all , Hi Rafal...

The 4th edition can be purchased in hardback from Esslinger's supply house at a reasonable price. It's a great book!

Kindest regards,

Serge

Posts: 276 | Location: Grand Ledge, Michigan in the USA | Registered: April 16, 2014
posted
thanx for heads up ..
have a few fusees to fix

Posts: 30 | Location: Queensland in Australia | Registered: May 09, 2013
posted
Hi

I already got one from awci. Its not on the website but I sent them an email and sorted it out that way. They are quite friendly. Great book it is. Smile

Posts: 266 | Location: Wroclaw in Poland | Registered: May 06, 2013
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Guys -- I've got an NOS paperback copy of Henry F's The Watch Escapement, which I will sell for $15 + book rate postage. Shoot me an email note if you want it. Another useful book.

kh

--------------- Sold American ---------------

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013