• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

lahe collets "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I was just wondering if someone could tell me what is the difference between a regular lathe collet and a wire collet?
Thanks for all help.

Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
Kevin,
In my Small Tool Catalog No. 31, they show a spring collect as being used for automatic and wire feed screw machines.

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Kevin,
Still looking for a description of the Wire Collet.

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Thanks for the images Wayne, quite interesting.

posted
Another picture of different watchmaker lathe collets.

posted
Nice Wayne, wish i had all those collets for my peerless lathe, any idea what the big faceplate or chuck on the right is used for?

posted
Kevin,
My catalog lists that as a "Tapered hole face plate".

posted
Back to the original question. Wire collet is the machinist term- split chuck is the watchmakers term.

Posts: 52 | Location: Richland, Washington USA | Registered: April 19, 2003
posted
Thanks Wayne for the information, i was certain it was a faceplate but not sure if it had a special purpose.
Thanks George, i had seen these terms used before and was not sure if they were refering to the same animal.I am a machinist and i just refer to these as collets, but there are other kinds used in both watch repair and machining work. Smile

posted
Kevin,
The face plate is for odd shape one off jobs[should have clamps with it]. Staff wire used to come in wooden tubes marked Staff wire & the size hence wire collet to chuck it up. If you're curious Brittens watch & clockmakers dictionary & guide is a good reference[the older the better] & some of the old lathe manuals & guides[DeCarles & Levins among others] have a wealth of information.

George.

Posts: 52 | Location: Richland, Washington USA | Registered: April 19, 2003
posted
Kevin,
In my catalog, this is how they show the face plate usage.

posted
The draw-in collet chuck is the most accurate of all types of chucks. The work held in the collet should not be more than .001 in smaller or .001 in larger than the collet size or it could impar the accuracy of the collet. A separate collet should be used for each diameter of work.