Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Name That Tool? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
Here are six tools. They are all from a "watchmaker`s tool lot" so I guess all are watchmaking tools.
Three of these I can identify. Number 3 is a small measuring caliper,number 4 is a tool for holding a roller jewel (is spring loaded) it has soot marks so was used for shellacking the jewel into the roller table I suppose. Looks like table would have had to be off the staff though since side of tool is too wide to fit between staff and jewel. Number 6 is a small screw-holding screwdriver.
The other three I don`t have any idea about. Number 1 has it`s own leather case. It looks aluminum in color but is heavier so may be stainless. The insets on 2 and 5 were drawn to illustrate how the tips of the tools look.

Confused

Kenny

Watch tools

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Number 5 looks like the tool used to remove the springs that hold in the jewels on some watches.
Brian C.

pwpartsetc@pwatch.com

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
No. 2 appears to be a tool for opening the bezel of a burnished-in watch jewel. They come in sets of several sizes. In use, after the cracked jewel is punched out, the tip of the tool is inserted into the hole and the screw tightened from time to time as the tool is revolved in the hole. In this way the tool will open up the bezel so that a new jewel can be fitted. The bezel is then closed over the new jewel. In practice it works most of the time. However, sometimes the bezel formed in the plate will rip out and then a new bezel must be turned and riveted into the plate to hold the new jewel. As I recall, the use of this tool is described in Bench Practices for Watchmakers by Fried.

Posts: 1960 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
Brian and Greg,
Thanks for the input.

Brian, I don`t understand what you mean by springs that hold in jewels. Don`t recollect seeing anything like that.

Smile

Kenny

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Kenny,
They are used mostly on Swiss watches. I believe they are shock resistant devices, Kif, incabloc etc.
Brian C.

pwpartsetc@pwatch.com

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002