Reply to Post

Horological Botany "Click" to Login or Register 
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Two Questions:

1. What is this plant?

2. What has this got to do with Horology?

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
1. Hibiscus

2. I don't have a clue. (maybe something to do with 4 o'clock?). Big Grin

Andy

fouroclocks

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
Why are they four o'clocks?

Posts: 325 | Location: Near Mexico City, Mexico | Registered: July 05, 2003
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Hello All, Isn't that Flower a Hibiscus?. One of Harrisons' Timepieces was taken on the "Beagle" With Captain Fitzroy (later Admiral) of Barometer fame. Also on the voyage of course was Darwin who on his return wrote "The Origin Of Species" They did a lot of research on the Galapogoes (spell)Islands. Or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely?. PS, I have an Admiral Fitzroy Barometer. Regards , Ged.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Carlos,
Four o'clocks have that common name here because the flowers open in the afternoon. Would that be "son los quatros"?

I don't think this was the correct answer to the first question, though.

Andy Big Grin

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Good responses. Thanks to everyone who humored me in my odd post.

ANSWERS:

1. Yes, I believe it is a Hibiscus.

2. What has the Hibiscus got to do with horology? In the winter when the stocks are dry, they may be cut into buttons of pith. As we known, pith has been traditionally used for cleaning watch and clock pivots. The pith from the plant shown has proven every bit as good as the pith purchased from the supply house. However, my Michigan grown Hibiscus pith is not as large in diameter as the buttons of pith from Florida.

Best regards,

Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Very interesting Greg, we learn something new here every day, thanks. Smile