Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Pith Wood "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
Its appears to be no longer commonly available, are watchmakers using a different material.

Pith Wood

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Wayne,

S. LaRose has it. It's item #052054. You get 12 pieces in a box for under $6.00.

I use the pithwood mostly for cleaning pivots, pinions and my tweezer tips. There are untold other uses that doesn't come to mind.

They also carry pegwood in different sizes. Pegwood is a must for cleaning out jewel holes. Use a razor blade to sharpen the end to a fine point and you can even do the balance jewels too. I also use pegwood to probe the movement and align parts during build.

John D. Duvall
NAWCC Member 144772
NAWCC IHC Happy Camper 192
Chapter 185 Watch Repair Moderator

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
Picture of Brian C.
posted
John and Wayne,
I use a block of pithwood when replacing a balance staff. I press the old staff into the pithwood to make an impression of the staff. I then take the new staff and put it in the impression. This tells me if I have the correct staff to install.
Brian C.

pwpartsetc@webtv.net

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Brian,

Will try that idea, thanks!

John D. Duvall
NAWCC Member 144772
NAWCC IHC Happy Camper 192
Chapter 185 Watch Repair Moderator

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003