Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

History of the American Watch Case "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jack Davis
posted
I am pretty pumped about finding this! I did an online search for History of the American Watch Case by Warren H. Niebling and a book dealer in NJ came up with a copy of History of the American Watch Case.

It is #0199, signed by the author and is in VG+ condition. I haven't had much luck this year finding pocket watches that I can afford to add to my collection, but I have done pretty well finding books and other reference material.

Jack

Posts: 208 | Location: Elgin, Illinois USA | Registered: November 30, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Sounds like a great find Jack!

CONGRATULATIONS

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Two or three times, in as many years, I've thought that I'd located a copy only to find out it had just been sold. I pretty much gave up on it. Congratulations.
B

Posts: 97 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: December 21, 2002
Picture of Stu Goldstein
posted
Since many of us have never seen a copy let alone expect to own one, I wonder if Jack would be willing to post a “book report” for us?

Posts: 355 | Location: Northern Idaho in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 26, 2002
Picture of Jessica Lane
posted
Jack, did you find the book as helpful as it sounds? How about some idea of what it's like?

I found a copy,also, but it was several hundred dollars, or more, so I didn't buy it. It's rare and there seems to be some demand for it; too bad that publishing is so expensive.

Jessica

Posts: 834 | Location: New York, New York U.S.A. | Registered: September 06, 2003
Illinois WW Expert
posted
The Warren Niebling book is an excellent resource . I used it to help wirite my new book on the Illinois Watch Company( www.illinoiswatches.com) and was fortunate enough to be able to interview Mr. Niebling on the telephone.Highlights from our discussion are in my book.
I borrowed it twice for my research. I would also like to find one for my watch book collection.
I am very grateful to Mr. Niebling for preserving this information.
Fred

Posts: 9 | Location: Irvine, California in the USA | Registered: January 14, 2004
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
This book is available again! That is, if you want to spend $399.95!

History of the American Watch Case by Neibling, Warren H.

Boy if this guy would only reprint this, it sure would save a lot of money.
Think it would be worth it to him?

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of Jessica Lane
posted
I looked the book up recently. It was self-published, but at a place that seems to cover publication expenses (although I'm not sure). It could be that they hold the copyright.

Because copyright laws have just been expanded in order to preserve Disney's copyright, which was about to expire, all copyrights held at the time ((a year or two ago), won't lapse for at least abother 75 yrs beyond whatever time they already had (I think).

Jessica

Posts: 834 | Location: New York, New York U.S.A. | Registered: September 06, 2003
IHC Member 456
posted
I have a copy of this book on ebay right now if anyone is interested:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4969264540
Mike

Posts: 541 | Location: Mohrsville, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: February 15, 2005
posted
I will be selling my duplicate copy of Niebling's book "History of the American Watch Case." If any of you are still interested in purchasing this book you may contact me directly.
Dan Rom

Posts: 23 | Location: Waterford, Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: February 28, 2005