Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Question for the Rail Road Guys "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jack Davis
posted
Are these collar buttons rail road related in any way? Thanks for your help.

Jack

Posts: 208 | Location: Elgin, Illinois USA | Registered: November 30, 2002
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Jack,
Yes, I believe they are for the Brotherhood of Railway Clerks. Hopefully, if I am in error, Larry Buchan will correct me, if not perhaps he will tell us something of the Brotherhood's history.

Ed Ueberall
NAWCC 49688
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Jack & Ed

Would that be a quill and ink bottle depicted? Also, what is crossed with the quill and what is the item where the "C" comes together?

Very interesting items indeed.

Thanks for sharing Jack!

John D. Duvall
Vice President, Education

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
Picture of Stu Goldstein
posted
The item where the "C" comes together sure looks like it could be a Union label.

Stu

Posts: 355 | Location: Northern Idaho in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 26, 2002
Watch Repair Expert
posted
I think Ed and Stu are both correct in their guesses. I also think that "what is crossed with the quill" is probably the representation of an ordinary wooden pencil, but that's just a guess.

Neat items.........

======================

Steve Maddox
Past President, NAWCC Chapter #62
North Little Rock, Arkansas
IHC Charter Member 49

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002
Picture of Jack Davis
posted
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your responses. Stu, I examined the symbols under a couple of different loupes and it does not appear to be a union label. But, it is hard to say as the symbol is pretty small.

I was organizing and cleaning out several box lots from auctions I have attended over the last couple of years and I ran across these in the bottom of a box with some pretty ordinary pinbacks and tie tacs. I guess I need to pay more attention! Red Face

Jack

Posts: 208 | Location: Elgin, Illinois USA | Registered: November 30, 2002
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Jack:

Here is some historical background on the Railway Clerks that I found on their web site;

Railway clerks organized into a union in 1889 when 33 Railroad clerks from Sedalia, Missouri met on December 29 and formed Local Lodge No. 1 of a union they named the Order of Railroad Clerks of America they became the Brotherhood of Railway Clerks in 1904, then in 1919 they became the Brotherhood of Railway and Steamship Clerks, Freight Handlers, Express and Station Employees which was known as BRAC, in the years since then the union welcomed into its ranks the members of half a dozen other labor organizations among them the Transportation Communication Employees Union (which were formerly known as the Order of Railroad Telegraphers), the United Transport Service Employees Union, the Railway Patrolman's International Union, the Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters, the American Railway and Airway Supervisors Association, the Western Railway Supervisors Association, and the Brotherhood of Railway Carmen in 1987 the name was changed to the "Transportation Communications International Union"

Larry Buchan
"Buchaneer"

IHC Charter Member 28
IHC Life Member (L7)

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

The knowledge we have in this chapter combined with the power of the internet never ceases to amaze me!

Way to go guys!

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I found this at an antique show today. I would never have know what it was without the great information above.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002