• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Battery tester / quartz watch analyzer question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I would like advice on a battery tester / quartz watch analyzer. I'd like to be able to check the cell without removing it from the movement (and in the conventional manner, too). Plus, I'd like one of those machines that accelerate the motion works and run the hands around (to free up any possible stickiness, etc.). Can anyone recommend a machine that does all this, or will I need two machines, or ?????
Thanks,
Pete Belmonte

Posts: 156 | Location: O'Fallon, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: September 03, 2004
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Peter,
There are a number of units that will check the battery and free up a movement. S. Larose carries the Witschi brand. http://www.slarose.com They range in price from about $250 and up. Basically, they accelerate up the motion work with a magnet. If you pass a quartz watch over a demagnetizer, it will basically do the same thing (never do this with an Accutron.) These units can also tell you that the watch is running even if the hands are not moving (analog quartz watches.) That would indicate that the battery and circuits are good and the works are gummed up.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
posted
Scott,
Thanks for the info. I have seen the demagnetizer used; I think I'll buy the $50 demagnetizer and $35 battery checker Smile
I also saw a Horotec Turbo -- but I guess one would get the same result with the demagnetizer. Thanks again,
Pete

Posts: 156 | Location: O'Fallon, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: September 03, 2004