• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Horological Machines "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
For those who are interesred in Horological machines, The Charles River Museum of Industry in Waltham Massachusetts has on display the following-

Charles Vander Woerd's Automitic Screw Machine

Marsh Auto Hairspring stud Pin Machine

Church Automatic Turret Lathe

Church Automatic Winding Bar Squaring Machine

Dial Printing Machine

The Church Automatic Facing and Recessing Machine

Church Upsetting Lathe-Patened 1892

Church Air Activated Crown Wheel Cutter

Rotary Pivot Polishing Machine

Church Multiple Plate

Drilling Machine

In addition there are several other horological machines in storage and will in the future be placed on display.

Frank Menez
CRMI Trustee

The museum also has a collection of Wheel Cutting Engines and numerous other tools

Posts: 39 | Location: Somersworth, New Hampshire USA | Registered: February 18, 2005
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
This is a photo of one of the machines at the CRMI, Waltham, MASS. The machine is mounted on an original Waltham factory workbench. Exit off of I95 to downtown Waltham.

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Frank Juchniewicz
posted
Wayne, I have got to get up that way someday soon. I am amazed at the workings of these machines,as much as by their products.

Frank

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 28, 2003
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Love those old tools. I have read THE WATCHMAKERS LATHE by Goodrich as well as DeCarle's excellent watch lathe book, all of which are highly recommended.

Given that I will not be able to go down and see it in person, I appriciate the above picture.

Is it only me, or in some strange way, is it sad to see the above machine by itself and not set up to make something?

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1942 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
I think that there was some discussion about getting the machines running. Here is another machine, which was removed from the Walltham Watch factory when it was closed.

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Thanks for the picture. I can almost hear the leather belts moving on the overhead drive shaft pullys. Back in the days we made watches.

Posts: 1942 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Picture of Frank Juchniewicz
posted
Hi Wayne
Is that a picture of a boring machine ,for plate work.

Frank

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 28, 2003
posted
This ingenious machine was made to counterbore two in line holes on a part at the same time and always be perefectly concentric with each other. It was designed by Mr Church, and was identified as an "Upsetting Lathe" which was patened in 1892. This description was furnished by George Collard, who made up many of the machine descriptions at the CRMI.