• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Can't get the pulley screw out of the lathe "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I wanted to service my lathe but I cannot get the pulley screw loose. Any suggestions? I have the lathe only a couple of months so who knows when the last time it was taken out!

Posts: 152 | Location: Miami, Florida in the USA | Registered: August 11, 2009
Picture of Thomas M. Cusack
posted
PB Blaster or other good penetrating oil /
Is yours an Allen wrench type ? I used a driver- bit that I could tap on after letting oil sit a day or so came out Hard Big Grin

Posts: 175 | Location: New Hampshire in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2015
posted
It's a flathead screw. Would Wd 40 work?

Posts: 152 | Location: Miami, Florida in the USA | Registered: August 11, 2009
Life Member
posted
WD 40 is lousy penetrating oil. Try kerosene, or, if you can stand the smell of it, Kroil. That stuff comes in both spray cans and dropper cans like 3in1. The smell of Kroil kinda turns my stomach, so whenever I have to use it, I do it outdoors. But it is the best penetrating oil I have ever come across.

Posts: 213 | Location: Westminster, Maryland in the USA | Registered: March 02, 2015
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
I agree with Thomas, PB Blaster has loosened up a lot of tight and frozen up screws for me in the past.

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
quote:
bit that I could tap on after letting oil sit a day or so came out Hard

This is good advice.

Whatever driver you are using, have a firm two handed grip on it and have someone else tap on the top as you turn.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011