Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

WHAT MAKE IS THIS LATHE? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Roddy J. Brunton
posted
Can anyone tell me what make this 8mm lathe is?
All I know is, it is not a Levin.
On the front of the headstock it says 20325 or 20825 I think & HARD.
Check out the very wide pulley beside the narrow one. Production lathe maybe?
Looks like an early AWT or Derbyshire maybe?
The knurled parts cover bearings.
The drawbar is heavy duty solid steel, not hollow like most WW ones. the knob being held in place by an expansion screw? I'll add some pics

Roddy JB

Posts: 1385 | Location: Richmond, British Columbia in Canada | Registered: January 07, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
bearing

Roddy JB

Posts: 1385 | Location: Richmond, British Columbia in Canada | Registered: January 07, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
Draw bar 1

Roddy JB

IHC Life Member
posted
drawbar 2

Roddy JB

IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Due to the mount system and the draw bar it looks to me like a WW.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
Hi Patrick,
Thanks, That much I knew.
Just never saw bearings like these before on any watchmaker lathe.
Rod

Roddy JB

IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Could it be that the lathe was made for another purpose but is being advertised as a Watchmaker lathe?

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
I FOUND OUT ITS A WEBSTER WHITCOMB, SO EITHER AMERICAN WATCH TOOL OR AN EARLY DERBYSHIRE, WITH SOUPED UP BEARINGS & DRAWBAR LIKELY FOR SOME FORM OF PRODUCTION OR HEAVIER DUTY WORK.
ROD

Roddy JB