Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Alcohol Lamps "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
Does anyone use Alcohol lamps as a heat source when working on watches?

Lamp

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Wayne,

I use an old lamp burning denatured alcohol for pallet and roller jewel work. Seems to burn hot and clean.

John D. Duvall
Vice President, Education

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I also use an alcohol lamp for setting roller and pallet jewels, and for tempering or bluing steel parts. I enjoy using this neat antique brass lamp shaped like a finial.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Brian C.
posted
I still use one for the same things as listed above.
Brian C.

pwpartsetc@webtv.net

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Picture of David Fahrenholz
posted
Yes,
As they say the best are ideas are usually the oldest and simpler ones. The alcohol lamp is ideal for pallet work, help in blueing etc.

Viele Grüße

David Fahrenholz
Fahrenholz Clock & Watch
Timeless Service

Posts: 52 | Location: Fishers, Indiana USA | Registered: June 24, 2003
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
Jerry T
Great looking antique alcohol lamp. Could I ask for everyone to post a picture of the antique lamp they use? Thanks - who knows it might create a new collection area "Antique Alcohol Lamps" and the alcohol used "internally or in the lamp".

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
here's Tom's

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009