Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Bakalite tipped brass tweezers?? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Going through some tools I come across this pair of tweezers and wondering if anyone every seen anything like them before. THey are brass with either plastic or bakalite tips rivetted on.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Rob,

Horotec are doing sets of tweezers now with steel body and carbon tips, that are interchangable, think I will have to get a set soon

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
posted
What application do they use them in. what benefit do they offer.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Rob,

The carbon fiber and also something called delrin (white) are non-marring, the hi tech version of brass tweezers, I use my brass for removing & positioning the plates and screws etc, stopping those tiny steel tweezers marks you notice. On high end wrist watches that you are often fortunate to be the first in (or believe you where if carried out correctly last time Big Grin) and have the joy of working on a perfect unmarked movement these would be great even if it cost a set of tips each time. They are of course non magnetic the new ones have aluminum body, the white tips (delrin)may also have some chemical resistant advantages, the tips are replaceable as I don’t think you can sharpen them does anyone know?.
Well you sold me Rob, I think it’s time to invest in a couple of pairs of each!,,, and store the old brass ones. Smile
Bet they would be good for Acurtron and quartz stators.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
posted
Great Info Chris thanks a million makes sense.

IHC Member 456
posted
Those look like the tweezers that are usually found in boxes that contain sets of weights. There are usually small pieces of metal with a 90 degree bend in them for the very light weights. These tweezers are used to pick them up and not scratch them avoiding any alteration of the weight.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mohrsville, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: February 15, 2005
Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
Michael you are spot on. Such tweezers would be found in all higher quality sets of weights to avoid removing metal when you handel them. I have a set of TROY weights and the tweezers in the set looks similar to the one shown here save they are made of bronze and the tips are Ivory or bone. The set was made by Avery of London. If you needed to use the bigger weights you had to wear white cotton gloves.

Posts: 431 | Location: South Victoria, Australia | Registered: January 18, 2007