Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

My New Lathe Set Up "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
I finally got around to setting up my new lathe. I've had the parts for months, but just got around to putting everything together. I have the lathe training DVD's by John Tope, and one of his suggestions was to use a cutting board for a base. Went out and bought one for $12.99 and it worked out very well. I put rubber feet on the bottom so it would stay put when I fire it up. I've already used it to clean up a very corroded nickel wrist watch case back.

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2008
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Nice setup Bruce. My own background as a machinist is on bigger equipment, but the principles are the same.

Belt drives are easy to adjust and vibration-free. What (if anything) do you use for cutting fluid?

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
Ed, I am just a beginner when it comes to using my lathe, but attached are photos of one of my first attempts. This is the restoration of a 1929 Rolex Oyster case. I used a six-jaw chuck to hold the case back. Probably unorthodox, but I turned it down using various grades of dry sandpaper glued to a popsicle stick. The chrome plating (over nickel) was quite hard and it took about 1/2 to get to where I am now. I still have to do final polishing to get rid of the micro-scratches. My other project was with oil and a stone. Had to turn down the bearing surface of the center wheel staff on an 18s Illinois. Reason for that was because the big holed jewels are no longer available and I had to put in a jewel with a smaller center hole. Shaft only had to be brought down a few thousands. Anyway, here is the "before" shot of the old oyster.

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
Here is the after. As previously stated, finish polish still needs to be done.

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Great looking work Bruce.
I have thought off and on about getting a lathe, but I do not feel that I am that far along on my watch repair skills as yet.
I was seriously looking at the one Chris had up for sale a week ago. Coming from him I know it would have been in good shape.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
Ed K.-- If you are thinking about getting into lathe work, I would highly recommend the training DVD's that are available from John Tope. Volume 1 (lathe basics) includes 4 DVD's and a manual ($79.). Volume 2 is also 4 DVD's, and covers lathe projects. You get 8-hours in total. Kind of pricey, but not in comparison to attending school somewhere. I have already watched the first set two times over, and will probably go back again for certain topics. Concerning the Oyster watch case, contained therein is a 1929 Abercrombie & Fitch Oyster watch. It is quadruple marked "Oyster"...dial, movement, case back, and very rare onion crown...crown used for 2 1/2 years only - 1927 to 1929!. I am paranoid about messing with a Rolex, so this one is going to Chris Smile

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Bruce, John Tope heard you bragging about him and went up $20. Smile

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
Wow, that's a drag! Glad I bought mine last year.